Sunday, April 8, 2012

Take the time to get it right.

I think it's been a good thing to take 5 weeks (so far) off of writing. I feel all charged up and raring to go.

I'd like to make a quantum leap with the next draft. Find a way to boost it to a whole nother level. It may not happen, but the 'possibility' is lingering somewhere in the background.

I'm getting a sense of the focus I want to take, and the feel I'm after.

It may mean changing the whole book again. But I've decided it's important that I get this as right as possible. Linda just started in on her critique and it looks like she's making extensive revisions, so I want to give her time to finish.

So I'm just sort of waiting for a moment of insight, a flash of inspiration, that will push this book into not just readable, but fun. I'm open to that, hear me right side of brain?

I don't know how much critique I'm going to end up getting, but I'm realizing this was probably a one time thing. I remember now how much this is asking of people, and how most people really don't have the time to help with extensive time and effort. Nor should they.

Even more interesting, to me, is that I've had a find of flash of inspiration about how I should try to market this. With a single sentence. And then tie that marketing phrase with the second and third books, even though they aren't written so I nail down the concept: it's mine and I expounded it on such and such a date.

I'm going to have to be ruthless in how much I'm willing to change and cut; which is hard to do when I've spent so much time and energy getting down on paper what I've gotten down. If I make as many changes as I think I probably should, it's almost like starting over, so I'm now thinking there will be yet another draft after the next one to smooth it out.

In other words, I want to incorporate all the changes that I make because of suggestions, and also try to spark some new creative energy into the draft, which will probably be messy.

I won't have the safety net of outsider critiquing for the last draft, so I'll have to give myself time to cool off and then come back and make sure I correct all the mistakes.

Like I said, no hurry. It's more important I try to get it right. Whereas my original intent for the next draft was a mechanical cleaning up and straightening, instead I think I need to spark it with some creativity again, and THEN do the cleaning and straightening.

2 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

I guess I'll find out if it's possible to do revisions and keep the creative flow going -- Can I turn off the critical editorial part and still incorporate suggestions?

I guess I'll find out.

I want to be able to add anything I want, cut anything I want, change anything I want.

Then figure I can fix everything in the last draft.

H. Bruce Miller said...

If you'll accept a well-intentioned word of advice from a kinda-sorta, once-and-maybe-future writer: Do more writing, less writing about writing.