Thursday, January 20, 2011

Why the movie reboots?

I find it strange and weird that they are completely rebooting Spider-man, Batman and Superman. One of them being restarted would be understandable -- but all three? What do they think is going to happen?

I think the big splash was already made -- so unless a whole lot of time passes, like for instance the 16 years between the first Batman movie, and the reboot of Batman Begins, these are going to feel like warmovered leftovers.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they'll be so spectacularly original that everyone won't shrug.

Then again, it's a lot like what the comics themselves do over and over again. Reboot, start over with a #1.

They get a small boost every time they do it, but it quickly fades.

3 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

My mistake? I thought I had heard Nolan was off the third Batman movie...

Unknown said...

I was going to say. In fact Anne Hathaway was just confirmed as Nolan's Catwoman. And I guess with these titles I'll just say wait and see. Superman as a very compitent director and writer, Zach Snyder of 300 and Watchmen fame, and David Goyer who did the first Blade and has been involved in Nolan's Batman since day one. Spider-Man I do have some concern over however. Marc Webb, who directed 500 Days of Summer, isn't really proven yet. 500 was fun. Cute. But not enough to show what this auteur is capable of. Seeing pics give me hope though. Andrew Garfield looks amazing in the suit and it feels much more classic. Just my two cents.

Unknown said...

Oh...and Tom Hardy (who is amazing) as Bane? We'll see.