Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Woodpile

"NOTICES OF DEFAULT JUMP TO SURPRISINGLY HIGH LEVEL" Bulletin, 2/3/10.

I'm thinking maybe the word "surprise...." ought to be retired when referring to the local economy.
Wasn't the Bulletin 'surprised' when NOD's fell in November? Which turned out to be a seasonal fluke?

We have just started down the 'adjustable rate' path, which is more dangerous than a jungle path in LOST.

**********

I usually comment on HBM's column, Wandering Eye, at the Source. But Bob Woodward has a column questioning why, on a recent visit, the new restaurant at the Oxford Hotel was 'surprisingly' busy.

Was it because of the Haves versus the Have-Nots?

Was it because it was a new joint?

Was it because people are still spending beyond their means?

?????

The answer is:

Yes.

**********

Got my 65" at Costco, when I found out that one of the clerks had a little side business delivering.

I would've been happy with a DLP, but Linda wanted a LCD, so that's what we got. Going to have Blue-ray and surround sound before we're through.

Right away, I noticed something.

When I was a kid staying home 'sick' from school, I'd be forced -- forced, I tell you! Only 3 channels! -- to watch soap operas. And they had a very different, cheaper feel. It was because back in the day, most evening programs were still on film, while daytime was video tape.

Watching House with HD was a real eye-opener, because it had the soap-opera feel to it, and I realized most shows nowadays are being done digitally on video, or something, and the big screen really makes that noticable.

One of my customers said, "Yeah, like a Telemundo program. Cheap."

That's it exactly.

**********

CACB keeps flirting with the bottom.

But the more interesting bank to me is Umpqua Bank. Locally, at least, it seems to me that they've made nothing but bad loans -- are at least doubtful ones.

Regionally, apparently, they are a stronger bank. They even want to pay back the Tarp. (Which means there must be some money laying around for bonuses....)

**********

With last week's dip in the stock market, I took the money we had in cash and invested in three different mutual funds -- on the advise of our financial guy. They were all offered in the last few months at 10.00 each, (they were all in the high 9's when I bought), so I it's an easy benchmark to keep track of.

I know, I know, you can't time the market. But if you need to invest, you can pick your moment to start....

**********

"BORDER'S BANKRUPTCY 'VERY LOW PROBABILITY.'

Merger with B&N Possible."

ICV2, 2/3/10.

Well, since both of these predictions come from the largest shareholder, I would call this more 'stock-pumping' than news.

Meanwhile, I sort of blurted out to someone asking yesterday about e-books. "I think they are going to co-exist, at least for a long while." Because I can see myself carrying around an e-book in my backpack, and then going home and reading a paper book on the couch....

2 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

Re the crowd at the Oxford Hotel bar: I think #2 is the main explanation. It'll be the hot new spot for a couple of months and then taper off.

It's really not all that spendy; $8.50 for a martini is about average in this town and many places charge more.

Whether the hotel will make it as a hotel is another question. My bet would be that it won't. I just don't think very many affluent people come to Bend for vacations, and those who do rent a house or a condo -- or they already own one here.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Going to have Blue-ray and surround sound before we're through."

Don't skimp on the sound system; it's a very important part of the theater experience. I'd recommend against buying a prepackaged "home theater" system; they're typically second-rate components. Instead buy the speakers and receiver individually to get a setup that meets your needs and works best in your room. You'll need at least six speakers -- two for front left and right, one for front center, two for rear left and right, and a subwoofer. There are a number of good brands but I've been happy with Klipsch speakers and a Yamaha receiver.