Monday, February 8, 2010

Genius on vinyl.

Well, maybe even more of a genius on CD.

But vinyl is what I have, for so many of my favorites for the first 30+ years of my life. You know, I wish I'd stuck to vinyl and skipped the cassettes. CD's have their advantages, obviously. But vinyl sounds amazing.

By buying our big screen T.V., we cleared out our entertainment center. I had a CD player downstairs, but it was a bit wobbly (which has now happened several times.)

At some point, I had bought a funky antique-y looking record player, with CD and cassette elements. Little speakers; which still sound better than that old 'stereo' system that I spent a year saving up for in high school.

So I installed my funky record player next to my desk, and all the old albums are on the bottom shelf of the bookcase (well, maybe half of a previously half winnowed collection.)

Bob Dylan
Jimi Hendrix
Elvis
Elvis Costello
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Joan Baez
Bruce Springsteen
Jefferson Airplane
The Doors
The Who
Dozens of Broadway plays (Mom and Dad's)
Beethoven and Mozart and many others (Mom and Dad's)
Folk albums (big brother and big sister)
Motown (Linda's)


and on and on. Up to about 1971 or so, got many of those old classic albums. Beat up, scratchy, but still listenable. More varied after 1971, pretty much skipped 1972-75; boy bands era; diva era; etc.

And I'm finding that it's easy to get up from my chair and flip the record.

I feel like I dug up a treasure.

2 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Dozens of Broadway plays (Mom and Dad's)"

Uh, yeah, sure, Dunc, whatever you say.

Hey dude, nothing wrong with being into show tunes. I mean, if that's your thing ...

Duncan McGeary said...

But.....they're so marv-el-ous!