Monday, February 8, 2010

How to watch the Super Bowl. (Also the Oscars.)

Go to a movie.

Tape the game.

Went to see Crazy Heart at 2:55, yesterday. Told Linda to turn off the radio, made sure I was on a non-news channel when the T.V. came back on.

Then enjoyed the movie.

Jeff Bridges is every bit as good as all the reviews say. How it feels to be an alcoholic. You can almost smell the sweat and booze and smoke reeking off the guy. Flawless.

I saw Waylon Jennings in a concert once. I'm pretty sure he was snockered.

The movie crowd was mostly older, and the theater was half full, which you'd have to say is pretty good for a Super Bowl Sunday afternoon. At the end, they were playing a song all the way through, and all but a few couples stayed through the credits. Long time -- maybe the only time -- since I've seen that.

Came back to the house, and started up the game.

Fast-forwarded all the annoying promo's -- though, for once, I watched most of the ads. The ad that really made me laugh was the ninja Doritos one. Even with watching all the ads and all the game, I think I cut a full hour off the process.

The Who had a nice light show.

Good game.

7 comments:

jared said...

Did I read this correctly? Tape the game? TAPE?!?!

Dunc this is 2010, where the crap is your TiVo(DVR of choice)?

I also can't wait to see Crazy Heart.

Duncan McGeary said...

Yeah, I also listen to Albums on a Stereo.

Heh.

DVR Tape, same thing....

Duncan McGeary said...

Or was it Jerry Jeff Walker?

Or both?

If you can remember the early 70's, you weren't there...

Bewert said...

Waylon I bet. I saw him at the Eau Claire annual summer fair back in the first half of the 70's as well.

"Jennings' family maintains museum to tell musician's life story"

http://tinyurl.com/yadswo6

While, actually a drive-through liquor store with lots of Waylon memorabilia. Rather fitting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me, bruce, bilbo, hbm, homer, bart, marge, quim, ten-beer, and all the other characters at your house for football. Even if you couldn't be there, and thanks for teaching how to use your VHS recorder. I can sympathize why linda didn't want to be in her own house with the bunch of us there for the game.

Duncan McGeary said...

Doh!

Unknown said...

The Doritos add killed me. I think the build up really pays off with that one. You are sitting there going, "What the hell?!" And then they drop the guy in full Doritos samurai regalia. The biggest complaint out of the fellow viewers...well the only complaints came from the females in the room...is the "man-centric" nature of most of this years ads. But come on?! They still pander to their demographic which I dare to say will always be mostly men.

As for Crazy Heart...based on what you say...I have to figure out how I'm going to see this movie. Thanks for the heads up.

Jack