Saturday, February 13, 2010

Eat the rich.

It sure would be nice if someone could present some CURRENT estimates of population growth in Bend and Deschutes County. All these plans for new UGB's and new schools and such would seem to be based on projections that aren't valid anymore...

At worst, we should have a moratorium on expansions until it becomes clearer....

**********

Interesting that the revoking of the two hour parking for Mirror Pond lot is being pushed through by Chuck Arnold. Last time he tried to do this, there was an uproar and a petition that was signed by nearly every downtown retailer.

It appears that Chuck just hadn't quite lined up the support he needed, yet. Persistent fellow.

**********

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the 'sales' statistics that show both Nov. 2009 and Jan. 2010 as being higher than December.

That just doesn't compute.

I'm missing something.

**********

'Economic gardening.'

I'm not sure about this. Seems to me that I've known several local businesses that situated their businesses in particular locations after doing "studies." Didn't keep them from going out of business.

I think this is one of those "seat of the pants" decisions that can't be delegated to stats.

Not saying you shouldn't have as much information as possible: In fact, I've thought it probably necessary to actually live in a town for a few years to really make a good decision.

Not to say you couldn't get lucky. Or use just basic common sense -- i.e. locating a high foot traffic dependent store in downtown, or a high car traffic store on 3rd St.

I just don't think studies can quite capture the nuances of retail.

Of course, I realize that McDonald's and Burger King and probably most other big mass stores do extensive studies, and gauging customer flow probably helps them.

But for us smaller types, just making an informed guess is probably as valuable.

**********

I'm not outraged that The Loft had the clout the get their liquor licenses by getting the law changed about 'private' clubs. I doubt it's going to make or break them.

I just don't care.

You couldn't pay me 2000.00 and 200.00 a month to join. (Well I'd take the money and never show up, I suppose.)

I'm just opposed to all the 'gated' communities and private clubs and exclusivity and such. Screw them. I subscribe to the Groucho Marx bon mot: "I wouldn't join a club that would have ME as a member."

**********

I seem to have lost all interest in the Olympics. My Dad used to watch them from beginning to end. But many years ago I got really tired of the 'upbeat' back stories, and tuned out. They look like mostly made up events, anymore.

**********

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"exclusivity"

We'll dunc you said, ... and thats the magic word.

These days the folks up at Highlands ( where bledsoe & fox, ... live ) they have quit paying for just about everything, but a few still fight about 'security' costs because they want 'exclusivity'. In Bend this sells for people who made their money from the NFL or Hollywood they know image is everything.

Why did they move to a nowhere desert town? But then why do they have to create 'exclusivity'? My guess is this is a fad, they all came post 2002, and my guess is that by 2012 they'll all be gone. Already Bend is no longer cool.

But I get so tired of this word 'exclusive', I mean who gives a fuck? What you drive, or where you piss? Or if your home is surrounded by a moat? Only shallow fucking types from places I shall not name are into these lifestyles.

Most sad is they have to change our State laws ... but that's easy when you OWN our cheap HO poly-tick-ians ( blood sucking human parasites ), everything in Oregon is for sale.

Most funny about the Bledsoe clan is they're the best selling author in the USA wrt to books on 'child rearing', yet talk to anybody that has gone near the Bledsoe home to babysit and they'll tell you its chaos. Funny how these people come to Bend and bring low class entertainment and all the nasty things that go bump in the dark of night in LA,CALIF, but at the same time they publish books about how JEEBUS would raise a child.

Hypocrisy.

'Exclusivity' is something that realtors in Bend sold, and they sold this to our newbie Reality-Starz here in Bend. The trouble as all us old timers know, is that everything in Bend is a desert mirage. How many ten's of million will Bledsoe lose on his Bend 'investment'? Will anybody care? How many people can be conned to join and pay $2,000 and $200 a month? ...? Only time will tell. My guess is this shit is all a footnote in the demise of the 1998-2018 BendBubble.

Anonymous said...

One last comment for HBM, and this is about Highlands and this Press Release this week about Highlands being on Broken Top Mountain.

FYI Highlands is in Bend city limits and is 10 acre lots, but they made a deal with the city because of large lots that they're on septic and have their own well for water, which means they can waste tens of thousands of gallons all summer each month and be off the meter, unlike the rest of us in Bend city limits these 'rich' don't pay the water bill,... They don't pay many thing that we little people pay.

It seems that Bend by design has become a town where the plantation owners by nothing, but get to be 'exclusive', and get all the service. Oddly enough, yes Highlands is service by our police and fire, ... they pay property tax, but only based on square-footage of home, and thus even though the average home up there might have cost $10M to build, many are taxed less than $10k/year.

So fucking unreal is our exclusive lifestyle. Yes, its exclusive to belong to a club, that allows you to be better than everyone but exempt from any social cost.

Have at it HBM.

Duncan McGeary said...

I must admit, though, that any sport where the 'g-forces' are so extreme that you can 'lose all bodily control and functions' has caught my attention....

Jasper Hedren said...

I guess Ive come in on the opposite end of the spectrum then, Dunc, when I watched the ceremony last night just for the made up spectacle.. I doubt I'll watch many of the events. Maybe the death-luge, though. Dang, could they have played that clip more? That seemed pretty senseless

H. Bruce Miller said...

"they pay property tax, but only based on square-footage of home, and thus even though the average home up there might have cost $10M to build, many are taxed less than $10k/year."

Yes, that is indeed pretty interesting. If it checks out I will definitely "have at it."

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Maybe the death-luge, though. Dang, could they have played that clip more? That seemed pretty senseless"

But you watched, didn't you?

Like a bad car crash -- hard to look at, even harder not to look at.

MrBruce said...

Call me hBruceMuppet

MrBruce said...

HBM,

Neuman 1031 Home - Highland@BrokenTop

18775 Macalpine Loop Bend OR 97702

Here's the story on Highlands @ Broken-Top and its ALL this way. In 2005 with a house that cost over $4M to build Neuman paid only $4,000 in property tax, which is about what I pay for my little 1200 sqft shack by Newport Market assessed at about $300k now.

How in the FUCK can people own HOMES that cost $500-$5,000 a sq-ft get away with valuations??

Why is it that OUR rich are tax exempt? For their business? Tax incentives? Facebook? Then on their Mansions they PAY NO FUCKING tax?

This is not even PROGRESSIVE, this is anti-progressive.

It's fairly clear that here in BEND that the RICH pay NOTHING.

Of course today is NEUMAN day, ... so we can all enjoy the BULL story today on this subject. But the deal that Neuman got is the same-same that all the rich in Bend get, they own homes that are 30-100 times MORE expensive, but only pay 2X in tax of us little people ( working folk ) in Bend.

Now that the CROOKS no longer in THEORY run Bend, because there is NOTHING left to steal, now just maybe the truth can be told.

You know I have long argued against this FREE water the rich use 10's of 1,000's of gallons a month to water their ten acre lawns and pay NO water bill. This is ALL such of fucking BULLshit about our phony Bend.

bruce

Ginger & Jerry said...

DVR is my friend. I love the Olympics but it's nice to be able to buzz through the things I am not interested in.

Duncan McGeary said...

Slate.com is doing an "Olympics Sap-O-Meter."

spot on.