Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Karma

One of the racks came off the wall at the store. Which, upon thinking about it, was inevitable. I just keep adding and adding, and recently I started to double up the face out graphic novels, which probably added yet ten more pounds.

So I guess my carpenter friend was right when he told me 15 years ago "it'll never work...."

**********

Ethics -- in particular, business ethics -- are an endlessly fascinating subject to me, in no small part because they often aren't clear.

**********

I've now had two weekends in a row with two days off in a row. Which, believe it or not, is very rare for me. Usually, I have a day off, and then a work day, and then a day off.

I can really tell the difference in how rested I feel.

**********

Was telling a friend in the store how annoyed I was that my new MacBook didn't have a solitaire game; none of the ones I've tried to download really work well, and none are as good as the Microsoft version that comes with every PC. (Never thought you'd hear that, huh.)

He laughed. He said that was one of the most common complaints they get at the Apple call center here in Bend.

You'd think somebody would've figured that out how to adapt that game by now. I mean, the old timey game elements can't be copyrighted, right?

**********

Finally saw Night Watch, the Russian vampire movie, with sub-titles. What an odd movie. I think I liked it, but I know I liked that it was different.

Linda mentioned it was the first Russian film she'd ever seen. "What! You've never seen The Battleship Potemkin?"

"Uh, no."

I saw several Russian films in college film class: Aleksanr Nevsky and Ivan the Terrible, for instance, and I remember the thunderous music and battles and gothic make-up. Oh, and the slaughter on the steps -- because the professor ran it over and over again in slow motion.

**********

My one resolution this new year was to try to read one book a week. I find that I need to boost my reading rate every few years, or it starts to dwindle a little too much. Once I increase the pace, it become comfortable.

Just need to stay offline a little more, and turn off the T.V. a little earlier.

As of today, I've started to fall behind.

The biggest problem is that I fall asleep reading. I can 'read' an entire page over and over again without comprehending it. Bleh...

**********

I've mentioned before that Upper Deck is my least favorite card company.

Karma is definitely catching up to them.

They just settled a lawsuit from the makers of Yugi oh for big bucks (counterfeiting). They've lost the rights to make baseball and basketball cards. They are losing the World of Warcraft cards. Word is, they owe money to MLB, ( 2.4 million) etc. etc.

They tried to get around Major League Baseball by signing an agreement with the Players Association, but apparently the cards are rife with team logo's, etc. So MLB is suing them.

I've been advising my customers not to buy U.D, because I think they're toast and bogus --

and it couldn't happen to a 'nicer' bunch of guys.

Really, you have to have lived through the boom and bust years of sports cards to understand some of my bitterness toward Upper Deck. But I'm telling you, in my mind they exemplify everything that's wrong with big business...

**********

Went on a comic reading binge, yesterday. About 50 comics, including Seige #1. Almost all the rest were crime or horror titles...

2 comments:

Bewert said...

Re: My one resolution this new year was to try to read one book a week. I find that I need to boost my reading rate every few years, or it starts to dwindle a little too much. Once I increase the pace, it become comfortable.

Just need to stay offline a little more, and turn off the T.V. a little earlier.

####

Same here. Oly figure skating helps, though.

Currently, as soon as I turn this infernal machine off: "The Art Of A Beautiful Game"

####

50 comics in a day?

Unknown said...

Really enjoying The Unwritten and Unknown Soldier right now. The art has been an issue with Unknown but the story is so strong. Also...Sweet Tooth is tragic and fantastic.