Thursday, February 4, 2010

"I'm NOT Spartacus!"

Caught an episode of SPARTACUS last night.

The main character keeps insisting his name isn't Spartacus, which I think is an inside joke, though there isn't any other evidence of humor on this show.

I assumed this was a regular cable show, like Highlander or something. Mediocre and Lame.

Instead, this is a cross between Deadwood and The 300.

Lots of gratuitous nudity, sex, violence, and foul language.

Though, come to think of it, any amount of violence probably isn't gratuitous in a show about gladiators.

Lots of boobies. And I do mean boobies in the teenage fascination with boobies sense of the word. For the ladies, there is full frontal male nudity, as well. (Wait....a show featuring body-builders and full frontal nudity and close in wrastling....maybe it isn't so much for the ladies....)

First scene was a sex scene featuring Xena, Warrior Princess. She's still got the boobies, let me tell you.

The Deadwood part of the show was the absolutely filthy language. Which I didn't mind in Deadwood, because the actors were able to incorporate the sound seamlessly. In Spartacus, you can just feel the actors struggling to make the layering of Sh#$, and Fu%* and Cu*#'s and not really pulling it off.

Though my understanding of Romans were they were pretty damn crude about bodily functions.

Linda's only comment: "Did the Roman's have steroids, too?"

3 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"The main character keeps insisting his name isn't Spartacus, which I think is an inside joke"

It is. Toward the end of the original Kirk Douglas movie, after the Romans have defeated Spartacus's army, they ask the captives to tell them which of them is Spartacus. One guy steps forward and says "I am Spartacus." Then another, then another, then more and more until about a hundred guys have said "I am Spartacus." (Finally, of course, the Romans figure out who's the real Spartacus.)

Duncan McGeary said...

Well, I know that!

But I'm not sure if it's meant as a joke in the show, which like I said, is pretty serious....

Unknown said...

This is one of the few shows I decided not to jump at for the hype. I can only take so many Deadwood's, Mad Men's, or Weeds' before it all just gets to be a gratuitous mess of networks chasing other networks ratings. Based on your review I'm kinda glad I skipped it. Don't get me wrong...I like boobies...but from the sounds of it this was done for simple shock value with little more than post-teen masturbation fantasies in mind. Now I'm off to look at Xena's boobies. LOL