Monday, April 22, 2013

Sequels are different, it turns out.

I've never written a sequel before and I'm learning there are some things about sequels that are different.

I'm finding it's hard to incorporate the characters from the first book in a meaningful way.  I mean, I told their story last time.

The new characters seem to be taking over.  They seem to have more skin in the game, if you will.

So instead of being major characters, the original characters have become secondary characters, which I don't think is supposed to happen.

I'm hoping to fix this in the rewrite, I suppose.  Find stronger motives for the main characters to be involved.  Besides that whole "End of the World" thing.

Obviously, I can't give all the old characters as much space if I'm adding new characters -- or each book would just have more and more characters that have to be given their own space.

I think the answer is, that of Cobb and Co.  I need to pick Cobb and one or two of the other part of Co. to focus on each book.  Bring them in and out of the books.  But always Cobb.

So in the rewrite, my goal will be to have Cobb much more involved in the book.

One way of doing this is with his flashbacks -- Cobb visiting historical characters and/or situations.  Brings Cobb in without disrupting the main plot.  That is, if the flashbacks themselves don't disrupt the main plot.

Why can't this be easy?

Maybe sequel is the wrong word.  This is the second book set in the same place with many of the same characters involved, but not really a continuation of the story.  So maybe Cobb and Co. will be j involved in every adventure, but not the main protagonists.

I don't know.  I have to figure this out.  
 

No comments: