Thursday, April 4, 2013

A bachelor for ten days.

I made the joke on Facebook that with Linda in Florida for 10 days, I was seeing how it would be to be a bachelor.

It isn't a pretty sight.

So, I watched less television than usual -- not just because I was taping the shows we watch together, but because I just don't tend to turn the infernal contraption on.

What I did end up watching is -- Chinese movies.  Lots and lots of Chinese movies.  Don't know why.  Probably because it's the biggest repository of good movies I haven't seen.  Linda doesn't like subtitled and I don't mind, so it's the perfect thing to watch when she isn't here.
 
Actually, despite the image I might have evoked above, the house is a bit more clean and in order -- it's easy for me to pick up after myself.

I drank wine for several nights.  Linda doesn't drink, so generally neither do I.

Slept really well.  I don't get up at night and Linda does...

I talked to myself -- as an idea generator for the books.   "What's weak and needs to be fixed?  What can I add or subtract to make it better?  What parts are still bother me..." and so on.  Easier to talk to myself without feeling crazy if another person isn't there.

I'd planned to spend all ten days finishing Sometimes a Dragon, but I was done in 3 days.  Then I planned at editing Nearly Human but I was done in two days.  

I fought off the cat's constant demand for hugs and cuddles.  Normally she's even a little standoffish to me, so this was a little startling.  We have our late night lap time, an hour or two before bed she'll jump on my lap while I'm reading, and after curling up for awhile, she'll turn around with an evil gleam.  Then I grab her head with my hand and we have a knock-down drag out fight for a few minutes.  When her claws start coming out, it's time to quit playing.

It alarms Linda, but Panga starts it.

Went walking in the high desert, dust up to my knees, but very pleasant.  Back to work on Wednesday and my wonderful wife was back home waiting for me, safe and sound.

Benefits of being a bachelor:

Cat cuddles.

Better sleep.

Wine drinking.

Downsides of being a bachelor:

Everything Else.


1 comment:

Jack said...

We don't sleep as well when Mrs Elliott and I are apart -- we likes the cuddles.

"I watched less television than usual [...] because I just don't tend to turn the infernal contraption on."

Word. I like a whole lot less TV than the missus does. Thing usually stays off.