Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sat. sats.

Four days of not writing, a bit of a vacation.  I'm so close to finishing the first draft though, I kind of want to get that done.



Went to see Oblivion yesterday, which I'd call a medium kind of science fiction film -- pretty simple by book standards, not bad for a movie.  Many of the reviews and some of the word of mouth was that it was 'complicated' so I expected a kind of P.K. Dick surprise, but pretty much not.

I see this a lot with science fiction movies -- they seem simplistic to me, and complicated to others.  It must just be familiarity with the tropes.




Was reading the East of West comic, and it made me realize that when you really want some way out imagination without border or limits, comics really do that.  They deal with wild ideas and images even better than movies do.  Something about the format lets reality and imagination just blur.




Breaking out my gardening clothes -- long sleeved white t-shirt, beat up slacks, cowboy boots and hat.  Put the laptop and a jar of lemonade on the deck table and get to work.  Try to do gardening and writing at the same time.




No comments: