Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tricks of the road.

(NOTE: these are delayed entries, about a trip we have taken.)

A short one, because we're on the road home.

Lessons learned. Get coffee the night before, and warm it up in the morning.

Less clothes -- all these places have laundry.

Don't sweat the noisy kids and dogs in motels -- they'll settle down by the time you go to bed.

When give a choice between a 100.00 room or an 80.00 room, get the 100.00 room. Or a 80.00 room versus 60.00 or a 120.00 room versus a 100.00. This ratio seems to hold true, and the extra 20.00 is worth it.

Get directions to the motel BEFORE you enter the town.

Linda and my timelines are different. She gets up 2 hours before me, and goes to bed 2 hours before me.

Do more planning, next time, but also leave more room to change. I'm thinking we might risk not making reservations, except for weekends and holidays.

Bring a swimsuit.

Take just ONE book -- especially since a feature of our travels is that we stop at bookstores. I started with 4 books, and am coming home with 16 books.


Any others? This is just the surface.

4 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Don't sweat the noisy kids and dogs in motels -- they'll settle down by the time you go to bed."

Sometimes -- but they'll be awake and making noise again at 6 a.m.

When I find myself in a room next to noisy kids (or under them -- that's even worse) I ask for another room.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Take just ONE book ... I started with 4 books, and am coming home with 16 books."

Better strategy: Take one e-reader.

H. Bruce Miller said...

If you travel a lot it pays to belong to AAA and (if you're old enough) AARP. You often can get good discounts on rooms and other stuff.

Duncan McGeary said...

One other thing:

I need to forget about writing fiction. No way.