Saturday, November 20, 2010

Signs of something...

...but I'm not sure what.

Lots of Big Doings in the little burb of Bend, and surrounding sagebrush.

Jeld-Wen sells both Eagle Crest and Brasada Ranch. Since we don't really know the terms, it's hard to say who came out best on that one. The development firm sounds like the real deal, not just a place to park the properties. Though, as I've often mentioned, I'm skeptical of new owners announcing extensive "renovations" that later on turn out to be mere face-lifts.

Also hard to know if Jeld-Wen sold the properties because they weren't doing well, or sold the properties because their core business wasn't doing well, or neither or both.

Meanwhile, Cascade Banks has glommed onto some major mulah, and the stock price immediately jumps to more than double it's lows.

I can't tell, does this mean that the original investors -- who are also half of the new money -- come out better because of the stock price price, or worse? I mean, does it make the new money buy less? It would certainly seem to make the old money worth more.

It hurts my head.

So it all makes me wonder if these major developments are some kind of bottom, or just another step down on the road to the bottom.

Another sign of something. If you'll remember, I thought it was significant when Brooks Resources decided not to develop that patch of land on the east side of the river near the Old Mill. It was really the first sign that any of the developers were starting to change their plans; and as I said at the time, I wasn't surprised it was the oldest and biggest of the developers who reacted first. They were around in the '80's, so they had a clue.

Anyway, it looks more and more like that land will become a park, instead. Kind of a example of how a Boom creates just another river-blocking condo, and the bust has created a nice for-everyone park.

Finally, there is a move afoot to create a "Small Business Saturday" to follow "Black Friday."
I think I've mentioned before, that Pegasus Books used to see a much bigger bump on the weekend after Thanksgiving -- but the mass market has really piled on the promotions and sales over the last decade or so, so that small businesses have become almost an afterthought.

A "Small Business Saturday" could turn into a real blessing if it takes off -- but probably not for a few more years. And, I'm not usually terribly interested in "blow-out" sales, which I think is what it might take.

I think I'm going to set up a table with Marvel and DC Graphic novels and sell them for half price -- see if that does anything.

3 comments:

marveldcfan said...

When are you going to set up the table of 1/2 price graphic novels?

Duncan McGeary said...

O.K. So Patty Moss says, "If someone five or 10 years ago had projected that kind of loss, I would have thought the likelihood of it is really, really small."

But there WERE people saying exactly that five years ago; I was saying it only four years ago, and was reading and agreeing with comments for a good year before that.

You simply were so rah-rah you couldn't have heard it through all the accolades you were getting....

Anonymous said...

I was surprised at how fast the Jeld Wenn deal was done.

It would be very interesting, indeed, to know the terms behind that one.