Thursday, November 18, 2010

"My name is Duncan." "No it isn't!"

Funny when people get a notion in their head and nothing can dislodge it. This actually happens quite often: someone comes in or calls and insists that they had a conversation with you, or that they ordered something, or that you carry something you've never carried.

Woman insists that I was holding a used book for her, and that she had just called and talked to "the woman". "We don't have a woman working here, "I said.

"Yes, you do. I just talked to her...."

You know, I just sort of showed her where the books were, and then made a point of telling her where Dudley's was when she left.

Last week a woman insisted I had a particular Zombie book; and well, I have a whole lot of Zombie books, so we looked and looked. Finally, I looked it up online and realized I had never carried that book.

"Yes, you did," she said. Again, I just sort of said, "Well, maybe I sold it."

Linda is still explaining that we aren't the Paperback Exchange, and people still aren't believing her.

Five years later.

"We were just here," they insist. "You've changed things around..."

1 comment:

Ginger & Jerry said...

A month ago my daughter spent a whole week dealing with an obnoxious woman about a missing order only to have the woman, after being supremely nasty,email her and say she realized she'd ordered from s different company. No apology!