Monday, November 8, 2010

Door to door financial adviser.

Just had a financial adviser at my door handing out his business card. He works for a major brokerage....

Maybe this isn't as crazy as this sounds. I mean, if someone came to my door and had "extra" roofing or paving material and was offering me a hot deal, I'd close the door in their face.

But I'm thinking, at least this guy's got lots of gumption.

Anyway, I'm happy with the financial guys I have, and just sort of chuckled --"Door to door?" I said, in wonderment. He just said, "What?" Like it was the most normal thing in the world.

Anyway, we got our real estate agent this way. Well, he came into Linda's store and started talking to her, and something about the guy felt right, even though he was more or less operating out of his car.

But he led us directly to the house we now own, the second house we looked at, and he led us to the bank who gave us the mortgage, and it was about as good a mortgage as we were likely to get at the time, 30-year, fixed. All in all, it worked well.

Certainly, he gave us a lot of his attention, and I think he gave us good advice, which I suspect wouldn't have been true if we'd gone with one of the major real estate agencies at the time. (This was in January, 2004, just before the market went totally nuts.)

I always say at the store, I can tell how slow it is in the business world at large by how many cold calls we get.

So this may be another sign.

No comments: