Thursday, July 17, 2008

What am I, chopped liver?

It occurred to me while reading the Source's article on BAT that one beneficiary of the rising gas prices might be mass transit. I mean, despite my doubts, I was probably going to vote for the transit district anyway (because I'm a bleeding heart liberal), but I'm beginning to think it might actually have a chance of passing.


Another Bend home builder having problems -- it seems to me, the fourth or fifth major player. Way back around a year and a half ago, when Brooks Resources pulled out of a small project down on the river, I've been watching as most of the other builders just seemed to keep on building.

A curious side effect of having a 'sitemeter' is that I can see how people are referred to my blog. It's been interesting how many found BMWJAMAGEH from searching "lawsuit" and the name of a prominent local firm or individual. Most have been covered in the newspaper already, I just thought it curious. I haven't had the tool long enough to know if this is just background noise or a sudden uptick.


I was talking to a city official from another town, who worked in Eugene during the times when they tried to revoke the downtown 'mall.' He said, even though it was clear to almost everyone that the street closures weren't working, that the people who put it into place and a few downtown merchants who for whatever reason preferred it, were able to block all efforts to change course.

Sounds familiar.


I hesitated to talk about this, because the person I'm talking about is very nice. But another store owner came into the store with a "greeting card" while I was ringing up some customers. I figured it was probably a condolence card, or maybe even a card to Linda at the Book Barn or something.

No, it was at thank you note to Pronghorn for 'sponsoring' our street during the summer fest. The music and linen covered tables were "first class."

I sort of casually mentioned I wasn't working the weekend, and that I was generally opposed to closing the streets. "But..., " I said, " We did very well, this weekend, so maybe things are changing."

"We did horrible business," this person says. "But that's another matter...."

O.K. I wanted to say. Why isn't that the crux of the matter? Why are you wanting to change to subject instantly? Even though my store has started to overcome the negatives of the events doesn't mean I don't think it's a legitimate concern. This conversational turn has happened over and over again when talking to other merchants, but none of them seem aware of the others.

And while we did very well on the weekend, we've had a real slow last three days, which as I've mentioned before is a typical reaction to events. Taking away with the left hand what we were given with the right.

Anyway, I probably missed a chance to actually do something that the others on my street were doing, but the other store owner was already starting edge to the door. I mean, it was all very friendly and all, but the person assumed I didn't want to sign and left.


I noticed that the downtowners are having a sidewalk sale on Thursday through Sunday next week. I've finally got something I can put out on the sidewalk! I'm going to stack hundreds of hardcover books and sell them for 1.00. And hundreds of paperbacks and sell them for .50. I'd love to have a permanent display, actually. Not sure if I'm allowed (though it seems there are plenty of other merchants using the sidewalks these days....)

1 comment:

H. Bruce Miller said...

" ... even though it was clear to almost everyone that the street closures weren't working, that the people who put it into place and a few downtown merchants who for whatever reason preferred it, were able to block all efforts to change course."

It was never about what was good for business; it was all about ideological purity and political correctness. It was an anti-car statement, and people in Eugene didn't give a damn whether it worked or not. Hard-core lefties are just as bad at dealing with reality as hard-core righties.