Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Best part of Batman? The Watchmen....

Went to the first showing of Batman on Monday. Moderate crowd. Hell of a movie.

Intense, and laying it on thick. It's what I've always said; the closer they hew to the spirit of the comic, the better the movie. Personally, I like the grimness -- he's the Dark Knight, after all. A little bit of humor, and Heath Ledger made me laugh out loud a few times with his very odd, but somehow completely appropriate line readings. Didn't think it was too long, or too intense or too confusing, like I've read from a few reviewers (have they gone to action flicks lately?)

The Joker was played as a complete psycho freak. There is violence, but if you notice they cut away every time there was a close-up act. The real violence, what would scare me if I had kids, was in the psychotic tone of Joker's voice. Very scary.

No one's mentioned the soundtrack, which really amped up the amphetamine intenseness.

I noticed they stayed away from the Batcave pretty much altogether.

Me and Pat and customer Josh, spent a good half hour at the store, yesterday, trying to figure out who the next villain in the movie well be -- the Penguin is icky gothic. I suppose he might work.

Oh, and the Watchmen trailer? Gave me a shiver. People have no idea what's coming.

It's going to be the 2001 or Star Wars of comic movies, hopefully lending legitimacy to comics from then on.

But then again, why should I care? Comics are great, and if you aren't reading them, it's YOUR loss.

Ha.

At least read the Watchmen...

3 comments:

Jason said...

"No one's mentioned the soundtrack, which really amped up the amphetamine intenseness."

No one ever does, which is sad. A good score can do as much for a movie as good acting and writing. It's the holy trinity of films.

"Oh, and the Watchmen trailer? Gave me a shiver. People have no idea what's coming."

I do! I just picked that up a short while back, and couldn't put it down until I had finished it.

Ooooh, I can hardly wait. If the movie's even a third as good as the graphic novel is, I'm going be spending a lot of time down at the theater (watching it over and over and over again).

I still think V for Vendetta rules supreme for me out of all the Allen Moore books. Something about that story really resonates with me.

Duncan McGeary said...

Jason,

If you can, go into Linda's store today or tomorrow. She wants to show you how to file books, and put you to work for a couple of hours....

Then come into Pegasus around noon on Thursday, if you can.

Let me know.

Jason said...

Not sure if I can manage the bookstore today ... I'm supposed to spend the afternoon with my sister, since she's off to Japan soon.

Noon on Thursday's fine, and if Linda would be willing to put me to work in the morning for a bit before I hit Pegasus, I can manage that too.