Thursday, November 1, 2007

I love my store. Just had a guy who was looking for 'faery' books for his girlfriend.

"What caught my eye," he says. "Is that you spelled it right....at least, according to my girlfriend."

I laughed. "I don't know if there is a 'right' way to spell it...."

Reminds me of when I would spell words like armour and gray wrong in junior high and high school. Because I had read Lord of the Rings so many times I'd absorbed the English spelling.

Further conversing with the guy, come to find out that he is here from Denver helping train the St.Charles helicopter guys.

I said, "Yeah, they pass over my house. But really not that often. We live a few blocks to the south." (When we were thinking of buying our home, we checked out the neighborhood a few times during the day and at night. On one of our walks, we heard the helicopter go by. There was a guy walking his dog, and we asked him if that was a common occurrence. He looked puzzled. "Not too much," he finally ventured.

This guy in my store told me that the pilots try to avoid residential areas as much as possible.
So apparently, they take a less residential route. Only freaks out our cat every month of so, instead of every day. Actually, I hardly notice it.

The things you find out talking to people.

1 comment:

Ray Kuratek said...

Duncan,

Read this carefully, you were questioning a few days ago two years on RE implosion, here is Bloomberg saying its been collapsing for three!!!!!!!!!!

Something is going on, my guess is big time revisionism.

*
U.S. Economy: Manufacturing, Consumer Spending Slow (Update1)

By Shobhana Chandra and Courtney Schlisserman

Nov. 1 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. economy is cooling after a surge in the third quarter, according to the latest reports on manufacturing and consumer spending that back the Federal Reserve's move yesterday to cut interest rates.

The Institute for Supply Management's factory index fell to 50.9 in October, the lowest in seven months, from 52 in September and less than economists anticipated. Americans increased spending 0.3 percent in September, the Commerce Department said today in Washington, also less than forecast.

``The reports we saw today are generally consistent with a slowing economy,'' said Joshua Shapiro, chief U.S. economist at Maria Fiorini Ramirez Inc. in New York, who accurately predicted the spending gain. ``Consumer spending left the third quarter without a huge amount of momentum.''

The housing recession, now in its third year, is eroding demand for construction equipment, furniture and appliances, economists said. Overseas growth and a weaker dollar are boosting exports at firms including DuPont Co. and Agco Corp., helping avert a broader downturn.