Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I've learned, over the last couple years, to take the time to actually point out to customers that I don't get to select which toys I get. I select 'cases' of toys, of which I have no control over the mix. If I had my druthers, I'd order a case of Star Wars toys that was half Boba Fett and half Yoda, for instance. Instead I get 3 generic x-wing pilots, two assorted background aliens, three assorted empire villians, and maybe a Luke or a Hans or two. Very frustrating. Especially when almost every person in the door looking for Star Wars is asking for characters I don't have.

I had always assumed the customer knew this, but have come to realize that they just think I'm a total idiot who would rather stock a generic x-wing fighter pilot than a Boba Fett.

What brings this to mind is how hard it is to stick to budget when you sell in singles, and order in multiples. If you order a box of sports cards, for instance, you might get 36 packs. If you sell 4 per week, it would take 5 weeks to break even. If you eventually sell out, in order to get a single pack of reorder, you have to order 36.

Intuitively, I know it should even out in the end. But it causes short term shortages, usually when things are slowest.

The comics biz is actually one of the few low priced products where you can actually order exactly how many you want. Card games, sports cards, toys all require paying for multiple to just get the first.

It's one of the reasons that I continue to mainstream the store. Being able to buy exactly one copy of a book, or a board game, or a graphic novel keeps the cash flow from busting.

No comments: