Sunday, May 26, 2019

Finished the rewrite of "Takeover." It is now a sequel to "Deadfall Ridge."

It's better, without a doubt. There is a main protagonist in Hart Davis, who is more sympathetic than the character he replaced (or at least, more empathic for me). There is an easier-to-follow beginning. So I think the story is substantially improved.

The problems come from the format I chose to tell the story. I'm not sure if it works or not. The readers will decide. But I do think it has merit, and was something worth trying. I was trying something new, stretching a little.

I'm going to ask Lara Milton, my personal editor, to take a look at it.

Then I'm going to move on to "Eden's Return."

(UPDATE: While taking a shower this morning, I realized I have a fix for the big geographical problem with my novellas, as mentioned below. So I'll probably do that next.)

Then the three finished "Tales of the Thirteen Principalities." All I need to do with these stories is make the geographical information consistent.

And I think the four "Lander" books could be made ready relatively easily.

Truth is, I tend to let the whole rewriting process intimidate me. I spend more time fussing about rewriting than I do actual rewriting. When I finally knuckle down, it usually isn't as hard or time-consuming as I think it will be, and it always improves the story. Research is always immensely beneficial, but for some reason I don't like doing it. I like winging it, basically, even though the stories benefit from time and effort. Damn.

So it's just time to get it done.

I'm not really ready to start a new project yet, so this is a good time to catch up.

(When fixes miraculously appear in my brain while taking a shower or brushing my teeth, I know my creative subconscious is raring to go. The creative well if overflowing.)

No comments: