Sunday, January 27, 2013

Style is taking chances.

I'm editing the scanned copy of Deviltree, and it's an interesting experience.

First of all, I'm engaged in the story.  Which, after all, is the most important thing.  The background is interesting, the main character is interesting. 

I'm wondering where it goes next.

How can that be?  I wrote it! 

Yeah -- 30 years ago.

I really don't remember where it goes and how it ends.  I have a vague memory of some scenes, but I don't remember the plot at all.

Whenever I'm writing, I'm wishing I could see it 'fresh', like a reader would.  Well, here's my chance.

So, I can understand how this was almost, but not-quite-there book.  Actually, I think it's good enough.  Based on my interest to keep reading.

What surprises me the most is how straightforward the writing is.  Very few stylistic flourishes.

I can think of  a couple reasons for that.  One, my mentor at the time was pretty insistent that you don't do that kind of stuff unless you know what you're doing.  So, in a sense, I was strictly by the book back then.

The very next book was full of stylistic flourishes, and it was one of the things one of the editors mentioned when they rejected it.  They said, paraphrasing, 'most fantasy is pretty straightforward these days.'

I think I can understand why I wasn't trying to be to fancy.  Style in a way is simply trying to say something in a new way; and when you try to say something in a new way, you're taking a chance that it won't work. 

I'm tempted, seeing as how the rest of the book is developed -- to go back and see if I can jazz it up a little.  I'm much more willing to take chances with language now -- if I think it works. 

But going backward isn't where I want to go -- so I'll probably accept the book the way it is and put it online.

No comments: