Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pioneers of Television -- junk.

Watched "Pioneers of Television:  Superheroes" the other night.

It was junk.  Thin gruel. 

First of all, though there is an ironic nostalgia for Batman and Hulk and Wonder Woman nowadays, it was junk at the time.  Even my 12 year old self was utterly appalled by Batman.  What a let down!

But what I hated most was the condescending attitude toward comics themselves.  There was no one on that show that really knew anything about comiics.

How hard would it be to get someone who knows his stuff?  Instead of actors that don't know nothin'?  (Ego-maniac actors,at that.)

Most shows about comics seem to be produced by people who know nothing about comics and what's really happening, then and now.  Even Kevin Smith -- I can tell you that my shop in no way resembles his show.  Not just that I'm not that funny -- but the values and priorities are all wrong.  I wouldn't last a month with that approach -- if I didn't shoot myself first.

I know, I know -- it's supposed to be entertainment.  But I don't think it needs to be dumbed down quite so much.

I think what's really happening with comics is so much more interesting. 

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I couldn't watch it. I thought those shows were bad enough when I watched as a kid that I didn't want to see the "stars" keep on and on about thier "contributions" to television.