Sunday, January 6, 2013

Backward Headline.

The Bulletin's headline tourism article was a bit nonsensical to me.

I'm not sure they have evidence to back up the assertion -- "Holidays Were a Gift for Tourism."  In fact, to me the available information points to lump of coal.

When the Mt. Bachelor says, "We're tracking pretty close to budget..." I can tell you that is about the least they could say before saying, "It sucks."  Those are weasel words.  Budgets are designed for worst and best case scenarios.

The idea that there was "extra" days was exactly OPPOSITE of what I think happened.  By my reckoning, we lost a week before the holidays. Though I admit, I wasn't aware that the Portland School District was out.  But most of the rest of the world didn't get out for that week, and the week after New Years was no compensation.

Nor did I think the weather cooperated.  Yes, there was plentiful snow on the mountains, which also means there were plentiful snows and storms on the passes.  I do NOT remember the passes as being "clear roads."  Quite the opposite.  My son canceled several planned trips over the mountain.

Other than that, there was almost no evidence of ANYTHING in that article, except a few self-serving quotes from local tourism providers.

So since we're interpreting sparse information, I'm going to say that I think that the Headline has it completely backward.

Our sales were down about 13% for the season, which is about what I expected.  My "budget" accounted for that, and in fact I think it was perhaps the most profitable Christmas I've ever had.

I'll go more in detail later.

No comments: