Friday, January 25, 2013

2012 results at Pegasus Books.

A quick wrap up of 2012 at the store.

Overall for the year, we were up by 12% from 2011.

It is our third best year on record, behind the boom years of 2006 and 2007.

However, books and games were 25% of sales this year, and were hardly a blip in those other years, so with the same product as we had in 06 and 07, we'd still be down around 20%.

Then again, I was savvy enough to bring in books and games, so it counts.

COMICS:  Up 12.5%.  Solid.  DC new 52 is fading though, so this may be hard to keep up.

GRAPHIC NOVELS: Up 16%.  Very good result, since this is a pretty mature line.

(Comics and Graphic novels combined, up 14%.  They were 40% of sales, down from the 50% they have been for years and years.  So -- I'd be alarmed by the percentage drop if it wasn't for the overall increase in sales, which means not that comics and g.n. aren't performing, but the other product is performing better.  Which is healthy.)

CARDS:  Up 8%.  Always depends on a few 'box' buyers coming around, or not.

CARD GAMES:  Down 9%.  Only category that was down.  Hard do know if this is an overall weakening of the game, or just more competition.  I don't have much control over either.

 GAMES:  Up 12%.  A good result, since this is now a mature line.  I do think the mass market is going to be taking a bigger chunk as times goes on, though.

BOOKS:  Up 3%.  I've got a stable inventory now, so I'm not going to see the large increases I was seeing in the past.

TOYS:  Up 34%.  Made a conscious effort to bring in more toys, so this is gratifying.


A good solid year, without too many surprises.  I'm encouraged that my employees have done such a good job, without me having to be there all the time.

This current year the focus will be more on profits than on sales, so I might see a slight decline in sales without feeling too bad about it.  The store has the inventory positions I wanted and now I need to maintain those levels.

Happy New Year.






No comments: