Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Pegasus End of Year Review: #8.

The final key on my register is for Graphic Novels, which is all comic material collected in book format. Both last year and this have seen small declines, but this is after several years of double digit growth. I set out to have 'every' good graphic novel, and while this is impossible in a store my size, I've gotten pretty close. A large selection of independents, as well.

The decline comes from not explosively expanding all the time. And I think that manga books have plateaued, which makes sense. I could fill my store with manga, and sometimes it seems like I did.

Between them, comics and graphic novels represent about 55% of my total sales. Probably 5% of that is illustrated material that I'd have as a bookstore in any case, so I figure 50% is pretty close. Same as it was the year I started; comics have always just got me halfway there.

I feel good about my selection of comics and graphic novels and I just need to keep it up.

No comments: