Saturday, January 5, 2008

The future of downtown Bend.

I think I'm getting more of a sense of what's about to happen to retail in Bend, and especially in Downtown Bend.

First of all, I don't think most businesses quit easily. I've always heard the '50% of all shops fail in the first two years' figure bandied about, but I've never quite believed it. Yes, a few quit that quickly, but most last quite a bit longer.

In my experience, either a store finds out very, very quickly that the thing isn't working, and bails out, say in one or two years, or it lasts anywhere from 4 to 6 years.

Urban Domain, for instance, probably found out very quickly that the location on Greenwood didn't work for them, (either that, or they're doing the 'out of business' furniture scam) so they are of the small minority who quickly come to their senses.

But the vast majority survive more like 5 years, and I think it has to do with the timing of leases. Here in Downtown Bend, you pretty much have to possess some resources to open in the first place, and most landlords aren't going to accept too short a lease. So, probably the average is somewhere between 3 to 5 year leases.

Now the first year barely counts. If you do well, it's because you're fresh, your inventory is new, and so on, it doesn't really say how you'll do in the long run. And if you do poorly, well, it's your first year and you expected it.

So, somewhere around the second or third year, an owner starts to get a glimmering of his future, just as the first lease comes due, and of course, most owners will re-up.

So, 4 to 6 years seems to be a bare minimum.

My own theory is that it's around the 7th year that reality really sets in. It might be the 6th year, or the 8th, but somewhere around then the future becomes pretty clear.

Now business with a lot of red or a lot of black on their books, you'll see the results fairly early on. If the store is bleeding red it will start to look rundown, the owner will look whacked, they'll splash big "FOR SALE" signs all over the window, they'll run out of product, they'll start keeping erratic hours.

Conversely, if the store is heavy into the black, they'll be adding product, the owners will be cheerful, they'll expand or open new locations.

But, again, for the vast majority of stores, it won't be either. Most stores will be just a bit in the red or just a bit in the black. That will be the bottom line that the customer won't see come to the surface for several years.

For most store owners, who aren't willing to accept the income in the title of this blog, either result isn't good. Too much work for just a bit of gain, isn't a whole lot better than losing a bit each month.

As I said above, in Downtown Bend, most owners have resources, most probably have outside income, many are equity refugees. So it takes 4 or 6 years to become clear. Some will stay in business, even then. Others will start to look to sell, or for a way out.

I suspect that the generation of equity refugees that opened in the boom years of 2002 - 2007 are starting to come to their senses. They're hearing talk of housing busts and recessions, looking at their books, and facing a renewal time in their leases. Which way will they hop?

Here is what I think is going to happen. Some of those folk are going to start to leave. But Downtown is so attractive, that they'll quickly get replaced over the next couple of years by the next generation of equity refugees.

The real question to me, is will this coming generation get replaced if we have a prolonged recession in Bend, in another 4 to 6 years?

I think, unless there is a disaster, that Downtown Bend will still be fairly strong even then. Maybe the leases will moderate, or there will be some concessions, but mostly, I think Downtown Bend will continue to be Downtown Bend, for good or ill.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its 90% the first three years fail, of course you can go to Samuelson on "Economics", and see the numbers, they have been consistent since the dawn of USA.

Ok, then there's Bend, I think Bend will be like 1983 Bend, boarded up windows.

Here's why. Most money in Bend came from stock options, they're gone, and the money is quickly being spent, as 10%/yr return has been over. Secondly is cali transplant, most parlayed their RE winnings back into Bend. It's over.

Then there is #3, which make Samuelson's anomaly make sense.

Divorce in Bend is ASTRONOMIC, the first thing these new middle age women do is start a biz with their winnings this each takes 1/2 Oregon Divorce Lottery State, most of the Bend biz is such, and they'll keep burning their money until its gone.

The hubby's by far were builder/developer's so in 2-3 years #3 money will be gone, #2 money is almost gone, and #1 money is gone.

In 2-3 years downtown Bend, will once again be just like 1983 Bend.

#1,2,3 above were historic anomaly's that will not happen again, the average guy who starts a grocery store, or comic store, fails after three years, and doesn't even make min wage, its always been this way.

Duncan McGeary said...

In real terms, the failure rate may be as high as you say.

But in terms of perception, it all plays out under the radar, over a long slow time, and there is enough movement, filling in, that most people can't and won't see it.

Bandy's jewelry store is about to get replaced by ANOTHER high end dress shop (the young woman I talked about in my blog who came in and talked to me).

I have some friends, who have lived in Bend for years, who are planning to leave down for a new job. They casually mentioned selling their house.

"Are you concerned?"

She looks at me, puzzled.

The perception still has a ways to go.

It's going to be years before it become common knowledge.

In terms of money disappearing, you're right. In terms of occupancy, I think you're wrong.

Duncan McGeary said...

I've always said, because of the natural beauty of the place, Bend has always gotten more than it's fair share of outside money.

We're like that horror movie, where there appears to be viable person standing there, but when you touch him, he's been sucked dry and blows away.

There are a huge number of business es that are being bled dry, but because no one can see it,there are yet more businesses willing to take their place!

Duncan McGeary said...

That 90% figure just has to be an urban myth.

My observation?

90% of business last 2 years.

50% last 5 years.

30% last 7 years.

10% last 10 years.

Totally guesses. But closer to the mark, I think.

Anonymous said...

But in terms of perception, it all plays out under the radar, over a long slow time, and there is enough movement, filling in, that most people can't and won't see it.

[ Then there is the big store issue, that really messes up the old 1940's stat's, which is why I dated the quote back to samuelson. With todays walmart on every corner, who knows how long a mom&pop biz can last?? ]


In terms of money disappearing, you're right. In terms of occupancy, I think you're wrong.

[ Duncan, Its the ripple effect, ok we agree the money will soon be gone. Then what? The burn rate will be higher, because the silly spending will be gone. The froo-froo stores will be empty, which means there will be nobody to lease to. Perhaps I'm wording this wrong, but we both seem to agree that the 'easy money' will be gone. Then what will there be to support the occupancy that you see to persist? It's not going to be done with good looks of these gorgeous divorced milfs. Once the money is gone, these folks I have defined #1-3, have to move on, because they're NOT going to refuel the kitty here. ]

Most of folk I know are #1, high tech stock option, and for them #2 is-was just candy. In order to get back on #1, they got to go back to the Stanford/Berkeley area and make connections and deals, sadly, and I have harped on this a lot, I would love to see the Old Mill be a high-tech University with world class research.

But as IHTBYB as eloquently said over&over here, and note he's a newbie, money comes to bend, and disappears. A few good old boyz hold on to money here, namely knife-river, brooks, but thats about it.

We'll seen in 2010 I'll start counting the plywood windows, and compare to 2008.

A lot of downtown is about 'last friday', wine, and just being part of the crowd. That crowd is going to be getting very thin, and note Bend is a resort, when the recession hits most of our sunbirds will be at home trying to make a buck, and NOT here spending a buck.

Anonymous said...

Regarding the confused look you get when you say "How are you going to sell your house"

I'm not sure these people are ignorant, its just that a lot people don't like to have shit wiped in their face. Its human nature to ignore the bad, and look for the good.

One really doesn't know his house will not sell until try's to do so. I know they'll not sell from personal experience as a buyer and seller, and I know its worse now than a year ago, and a year ago was terrible.

I don't think you can tell a lot about the question you pose. Most people are NOT going to tell the truth, because as we all know, the truth will generally get you into trouble.

What I'm saying is most people in Bend, know its bad, but when they have to move they have to move, and you pointing out that most likely they'll NOT dump their house, doesn't really help, even if its true. Thus you get the response you get.

I still want to see you buy your own commercial property, that's what you need to be doing is finding somebody desperate to dump their downtown commercial building for cheap.

Duncan McGeary said...

Ask a separate question. How many are making money? Or to parse it even finer, how many think they are making money and how many are actually making money?

50% Think they are making money in the first 2 years. 30% really are.

60% Think they are making money in the first 5 years. 20% really are.

40% Think they are making money in the first 7 years. 15% really are.

10% Think they are making money in the first 10 years. 10% really are.

Because making real money is much trickier. Inventory and fixtures get run down, and most people can't see it until it's too late. Emergencies, unexpected costs, delayed fixes all count.

Easy to sell that 20% over and over again, but not see the 80% that's dragging you down.

I give financial value to things like vacations, wear and tear on the body, psychic damange, etc. etc.

It all counts.

And that's why, even though businesses may appear to be doing well, under the surface, they aren't really making money, if you include 'real' costs, and not just the bookkeeping ones.

Duncan McGeary said...

It may seem like I'm just playing with the words 'profit and loss,' but I don't think so.

Let me give you a tangible example. I've had a nasty cold for the last two weeks. Apparently, I'm no spring chicken, because I'm having a hard time shaking it. Despite having time off, despite sleeping in and resting.

Five years ago, I would've (and did) just work through it. But what if it turned to pnuemonia, or made me more susceptable to the flu? What about a hospital visit?

That is real cost my friend.

Right now, every hour Patrick works is a cost on the books, but in my mind it's profit.

I could save myself 2000.00 a month right now by letting Patrick go. If I didn't mind working every day, sickness or health, no vacations.

But, and I know this because I've done it for years, I get less and less fresh, more and more cranky, I make more and more mistakes that cost me money, I let more and more opportunities get by me, I spend less and less time thinking and planning and strategizing.

In the end, I've decided the cost is worth it. It's a plus.

I've always maintained that 'burn-out' is almost as big a factor in failure as actual money.

Any time you hear a business quit, because "other opportunities" or it "isn't as fun" or any number of other code words, it's because the owner was unable to pay the cost to keep it fun and fresh, or to look for opportunities within their business.

A good employee is hard to find, and you've got to pay them. Being cheap and paying for cheap labor is self-defeating, in some ways.

So, in my mind, if not on the books, I make another 2000.00 a month.

Shannon said...

Urban Domain was forced to move because the landlord jacked the rent up $1000 more a month.