Sunday, January 6, 2008

Pegasus End of Year Review: #6.

New and used books. We were up 23% in this category, but since I didn't start carrying new books until after the beginning of the previous year, this doesn't tell me much. Still, the level of sales more than warranted the level of inventory. And since this is probably the best-selling category to people off the sidewalk, it's probably something I need to encourage. After all, that's why I'm paying the big bucks in downtown rent.

I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on, though, if I want to expand the selection. I'm simply out of room. I've got three things that I'd like to pursue: boardgames (and mainstream games like cards, backgammon, etc.), new books, and designer toys.

It probably has finally come time to take some old and tired material out of the store. Why haven't I done this before? Simply put, the 'vintage' material is stuff I've already paid for and have no need to replace. 100% profit, each and every dollar. Nothing to be sneezed at. Compared to having to buy and sell an active item 6 times to make 100% profit and still have the product in stock. I'm for sure probably the only store in Oregon or probably the U.S. to still be selling Alf cards, for instance, which has a certain uniqueness I've always liked. But if I'm never going to replace the product, it's bit of a dead-end.

So it's always been a bit of a trade-off. As long as I could find another alternative, I was doing that. But I'm pretty much out of ergonomic inspirations.

I'm going to go ahead an pack up some of the dead stock, and spread the active stock out a bit better.

No comments: