Wednesday, January 30, 2008

O.K.

I'm calling it.

Game over, man. Dude, does the name Custer mean anything to you?

The psychology has changed. Positive to negative. It has shifted, overnight.

(Warning: when I talk like this, people assume we're having trouble. No, No, No. We're fine... we have so many ways to deal with the problem, so many more resources, so much experience at it. It almost feels like an old, unwanted friend, as in Simon and Garfunkel's Hello, Darkness. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it, though.)

There's an old saying: By the time a trend shows up on the front page of the New York Times, the trend is already over.

I'm going to add to that: When 60 Minutes does a show on a problem, it's too late to do anything about it. I think it is going to become nearly impossible to sell a house in the near future. But more importantly for me, I think this is really going to start impacting retail sales. Official recession, depression or not, in Bend I don't think anyone will be arguing the small stuff much longer.

I started noticing a softening in sales in the late summer and fall, but business actually ticked up in November. So then I began hoping the positive psychology would hold out through Christmas, and it sort of did, at least enough to convince me that even though we were down, it was probably more due to a slump in my product than a slump in the economy.

This month has been different, especially the second half of the month. Sure there was terrible weather, but I think that was just an excuse for people to stay home and not spend money, as if they needed an excuse. This last week has been pathetic.

So, starting next week, I'm shifting into the plans that I had expected to enact in January, but then got excited by my book and game sales and went and ignored.

Small signs:

Plentiful parking in front of my store.

Customers wanting to cut back, or leaving part of their preorders behind, or saying they'll be in 'later.'

Customers in the building trade actually volunteering that things are slowing. Talking about empty lumber yards. Not having work penciled in, into the far future.

Storefronts downtown staying unleased for more than a month. (Not very long, I know, but over the last few years they've nearly been leased before the lease sign goes up.)

Customer counts holding up, or even being higher, yet sales dropping, which says to me that people are still interested, but unwilling or unable to spend money. I've read that customer visits is a more reliable indicator of health than actual sales, so in that case I'm still healthy, and the Bookmark if very healthy.

Cold calls. Seem to be getting them every five minutes.

A plethora of advertised sales and clearances, and "Sale" signs in windows. (Does this actually work?)

Buildings that once were "For Lease," now being "For SALE, or Lease."

A huge increase in posts over on the Bendbubble2 blog, some of them actual realtors, some of them actual women!

People asking for jobs. Quite an increase. They're the non-serious, "Hey, you gotta job?" type so far, but still....

Person after person coming in the door trying to sell to me; cards, comics, books. Also a big increase.

The Bulletin daring to use a word like 'malaise,' and the Nugget using the words 'defy logic' to describe some of the real estate deals.

It's all starting to add up. At least enough for me. I probably should have stuck to my plans in January, but convinced myself to fully stock the store again. I'm fat and sassy, so I can afford to take a step back and let events unfold. I was hoping for big profits, but now I'll accept just staying even.

O.K. wrote the previous last night, woke up this morning to another snowfall, which pretty much is the last nail in the coffin of this month. I'm going to be down nearly 20%, which is the biggest one month drop in a long time.

Now about half of that drop can be totally explained. Last year, Gambit went out of business, I figured that American Sports wasn't long for this world and Anime Mountain, and I wanted to become a 'new' bookstore: all of which meant I spent a huge amount of money last year on new product. Which also meant, if I remember, that I actually lost a bit last year on this month, despite the higher sales. Which points once again to the fact that the biggest factor in profits isn't sales, but spending.

I went and added up all my expenses for February, and was astonished to find that not only do I have enough to pay all the bills in full, I'll even be able to make my double mortgage. This, after having a -- for me -- huge quarterly employee taxes payment and yearly SAIF payment. I'm pretty much used to the opposite phenomenon: having a big month and thinking I made a profit and finding I'm still short. This time I had a stinky month, thought I was at a loss, and find I'm even! Weird.

What it shows is the power of prior budgeting. I cut my reorders back several thousand dollars, and that plus the profits I didn't make, made up the difference. In fact, if I hadn't gone a little crazy on re-orders, I might have made money.

Finally, now that this is becoming real to me, I want to say this. This recession -- or depression, as IHTBYB puts it -- is going to hurt a lot of people. People out of jobs, people struggling to pay bills, people unable to sell their house for a better place, and so on. I take no joy in it.

But I think the quicker we face the reality of it, the more likely we are to make the necessary changes. And of course, the people who think it's all going to 'spring' back, aren't going to listen to anyone, anyway.


(p.s. I'm starting to actually get a backlog of entries; because I enjoy writing (blathering) and because maybe I have more time on my hands and because things are happening, baby. I've pretty much stopped bothering with the short snarky posts -- (like, what kind of numbskulls would cut the snow plowing budget in December because there hadn't been much snow?!) So....what do I do with it all? When is it too much?

I'm thinking one solution will be to dump it in the comments section. So far, I'm keeping the more generalized, less dated, posts back. If I dump them, you can read them or ignore them.

22 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

Rereading this post, I realize that I neglected to emphasize how important the shift in psychology is: the prevailing mood has a momentum of it's own, which is hard to change.

BUT; once it shifts to the opposite mood, the same thing is true. It will take a preponderance of good news, over a long period of time, to shift it back.

And, when the mood shifts, it shifts quickly and severely. I'm not 100% about the mood shift, but I'm making my own plans on it.

Duncan McGeary said...

I also don't mind posting a million messages, either. It's my blog afterall, and no one has to read it. It's just that when 5 or 6 show up on the same day on Bendblogs, it's a bit embarrassing.

I write these as much for my own edification, as anything. To clarify my thoughts. I've done it for years, on paper. I've just more or less transferred it online.

RDC said...

Just part of the business cycle. The atmosphere is getting negative enough that I am starting to rotate back into the market using an averaging methodology.

Anonymous said...

I think its fine for you to do small trivial new blogs, this is the mark of a pro blogger, you make it sticky for returnee's cuz you always have new stuff.

Yes, of course you know I have been saying take what Homer says and multiply by ten.

I think what the snap that I have seen over the past two weeks, is this,..

Endless xmas party's since mid dec until now, they're finally wrapped, I noted in the last two weeks the wine going from $25/bottle to the $5/costco stuff ( arghh ), note I'm not a wine drinker, but I still know wine.

Most telling in the past two weeks at the party's is that the BIGGEST high-rollers I know at these party's are now hinting around about 'jobs', yes 'jobs'.

With the COMPLETE FUCKING DEMISE of construction, everyone is now effected and the slowdown is being felt in everything, especially consulting, remediation, law, accounting, PR, Marketing, all the big high-end high-roller stuff,.. people are looking for work now, people are talking about looking for a job for what they used to do, all in two weeks.

I think everyone was so busy with xmas, and xmas party's that nobody paid attention, besides 2nd round property tax will be due soon, and people sat down and did the end of the month bills now in January,

You too dunc know that PAYROLL tax is due today, and final for Q4, and all the end of the year state/federal.

The party is OVER, this is what I have noticed in the last two weeks, now the question will be what will replace the party?

The new trader joes, with the two-buck chuck will be a godsend to bend ASAP.

Duncan McGeary said...

"Just part of the business cycle."

I know you don't mean it this way...but yesterday I got this thunderstruck moment of how much this is going to hurt some people, people I know, customers.

The reality of it.

Duncan McGeary said...

The other issue I'm struggling with. It's fine and dandy to talk about business when there are blue skies, or even with gathering clouds, it's quite another to be so forthcoming when the storm hits.

It wasn't any problem to announce ever increasing sales and profits. Onward and upward! It's even a bit of a marketing tool, though that isn't why I was doing it.

It's another to announce a downturn.

What I've decided is: everything I post will be candid and forthrite....but I won't feel compelled to give out every nasty detail.

Anonymous said...

Duncan,

Just let me say this about the Bend Depression. That Homer has officially announced.

A depression is over 10% un-employment.

We now have 6.5% official, on a 36% jump to date. All these construction jobs are under the table. Thus off the grid.

I think that unemployment right now is 15% in Bend, and even officially it is doubling every two years.

We're in the legal definition of a depression.

The height of the Great Depression was 25-30% Bend could easily become greater. We're going to see a SEA of big-boxes boarded up.

If I were a construction person right now, I would be sitting on plywood, and making myself known as somebody that could 'block-up' stores for the 5-8 year hiatus.


bilbo

Anonymous said...

I would prefer an individual blog to each 'train of thought'


Given your the philosopher, and your expounding ideas.

It's proper that each unique idea gets its own thread.

WRT BendBlogs I challenge the assertion to all in your next 'title', ... "Has the Bend Depression started or not??" I believe it has.

Duncan McGeary said...

Errr....not that I want to be taken off of Bendblogs. The embarrassing part is that I'm such a blabbermouth. Knowing that it's out there in the world holds me in check, a bit.

Anonymous said...

Duncan, I would really like you someday address this female issue, and note I follow the definition of a feminist as a woman that is independent and free-minded.

***

Sad on our 'woman', but no woman yet has exceeded our 1/2 life of two days.

I would really love to see a woman with the passion of any of us old-time regulars post the "History of the Bend Bubble", from a womens perspective.

Feminists say, and I mean GREAT FEMINIST's say "Everytime I hear a man say I'm here to protect the women & children, I want to hide".

I can see very shortly the BOSS-HOGGS of Bend coming out, and rounding up the wagons to 'protect the women & children'.

We need a feminist who understands history, with the passion of Emma Goldman. Does just a female in this town exist?

RDC said...

Duncan,

It is just part of the business cycle. Has happened before and will happen again. Those that will get hurt are those that don't plan for the down turn. Those that don't put anything aside during the good times and go in debt up to their eyeballs assuming that their income can only go up and that they deserve everything they are buying on credit.

Yes, people will get hurt during the down turn, just as some people have autombile accidents, some die early from heart attacks, etc. The biggest difference between those three is that an economic downturn is the easiest to see coming and to plan for.

RDC said...

Bilbobend,

Uh, no, a depression is not an unemployment level over 10%. Technically it is defined as anytime there is a reduction in GDP of over 10%.

You will certainly have a downturn in the Bend economy, but it most likely will not result in all of the big box stores being shuttered. Most of the major players will hang around and grab market share while the weaker players fall out. You are more likely to see the local hardware store shut its doors in a downturn then Home depot. Thought there are some weak major retailers right now such as Sears Holding or Circuit City on a national level, but in general the big box stores have the financial staying power to use the down turn to their advantage.

You also probably won't see 25-30% unemployment because many will leave well before that level.

We are not in a great depression situation we are in more of a pre-1970's situation.

MStucker said...

My 1/2 life has been 4 months, not 2 days. And I am not angry over the lack of RE commissions. I frighteningly menopausal, which gives me the right to be angry at any moment and at anything. Not quite dead yet.

Anonymous said...

Uh, no, a depression is not an unemployment level over 10%. Technically it is defined as anytime there is a reduction in GDP of over 10%.

*

Sounds like there are many different definitions of a depression.

Some care about GDP, some care about un-employment.

You seem to be the latter.

I guess we could play the same game with a recession, two consecutive quarters of GDP decline, ... or is it two quarters of massive job loss.

I'll check around the net and see what's.

RDC, your probably a young buck, I pretty much use Samuelson's "Economic's" for my bible. [1947] I always operate on the concept that there is NOTHING new under the sun.

A depression used to be about un-employment, people used to say that if you get over 10% of job-loss that was a depression.

But we do know that no two economists on the planet agree on anything.

I'll check to see what the US-Government's definition of the week is, and see if your right. Trouble is when they get to pull the metric out of their ass, and define an absolute number, its quite meaningless, that's why its better that PAIN be the definition.

Lastly, on the note of recession, I saw complete collapse in sales of my biz'es back in May 07, thus for me there are already two quarter's of shitting sales.

My main quote is ..

A recession is when your neighbor doesn't have a job.

A depression is when YOU don't have a job.

So, there's three definitions of a depression.

Anonymous said...

We are not in a great depression situation we are in more of a pre-1970's situation.

*

That was still pretty ugly, we should hold this off until Duncan decides to do "Are we in a depression".

It looks like we'll NOT even agree on what it is, thus our first question will be "WHAT is a depression".

My favorite book on the subject is McElvey "The Great Depression".

I noted on bendbb you were talking 70's, and now pre 70's, ... what in particular, and be absolute what event in the time-frame in your mind do you have in mind. Please be specific, saying prior to the 1970's to me means the birth of christ.

I'm not being an antagonist, I read your stuff on bendbb, and I know your one of the few over there that actually has anything interesting to say. I'm simply asking you to be specific and cite references.

Anonymous said...

It is just part of the business cycle.

*

RDC, that's like saying the earth revolves,

Of course its a business cycle, the question is ... What is the amplitude?? What is the period?? What is the phase??

I know your capable of specific information, please don't be vague.

In my humble opinion Bend, hasn't had a 'correction' for 25 years, and this is going to be a big one.

When I look at wave forms I have to do fourier analysis we have tons of stuff superimposed on the business-cycle at anytime, there is high frequency and low frequency noise, the actual analysis of the business cycle is extremely complex. I have dozens of books on econo-physics, as in the recent years wall-street had been bringing physicists to study the 'business cycle'.

This is a perfect storm, there are SO many variable's that are going to superimpose and cause an extreme low. Just like out in the ocean, when waves ( cycles ) come together from different directions you can have monster 200 foot crests and troughs.

Bend is going through a normal healthy correction, but we have also over-sold this town, dumbya was handing out money so every idiot in bend could buy a house, you have the end of the baby boom and they're all going to dump their homes, the kids can't afford to buy homes, ... these are all waves coming in from different directions.

RDC said...

pre-70's as in the late 60's when we started to get some similar circumstances (inflation up, dollar weakening, on the edge of a recession, coming off near record low unemployment rates, etc) which led to the recession in 70-71 and the stagflation of the 70's.

On a different note the US has exceeded 10% unemployment in the past. Most recently in the early 80's following the recession in 81-82.

RDC said...

Also keep in mind that in the early 80's there was a little thing called the Savings and Loan Crisis. During that one there were total losses of around 160 billion of which around 125 billion was picked up by the government.

During that one 296 S&L's failed with total assets of 125 billion.


Adjusted for inflation, in todays dollars the losses would be around 370 billion. I expect the losses in the current little problem to end up somewhere in that same ballpark.

Duncan McGeary said...

Whether it's a recession or depression locally, as a business owner it's best to plan for at least a very bad recession.

Anonymous said...

On a different note the US has exceeded 10% unemployment in the past. Most recently in the early 80's following the recession in 81-82.

*

Yea, and if you were one of those 10% it was a depression.

Wiki seems to be defining a depression as a bad recession, as Duncan is saying.

I posted a credible document today on Homer's site on depression, and they seem to focus on EMPLOYMENT and NOT GDP.

Optimum federal reserve un-employment is 3-4% thats what they want, the FED cares about TWO things employment and inflation, if everyone has a job, inflation rises, if everyone doesn't have a job, politicians get replaced.

The politicians have directed the FED to balance in equilibrium a 'fair' system for all.

Above 4% un-employment causes political problems, above 10% un-employment causes severe political problems.

Nobody can agree on a depression, and thats why my favorite is 'everyone is out of work that you know, and you'.

I don't think this group can agree on a number, and personally having seen 1983 for a lot of people that was a depression, simply NOT national, but in forest-towns it was a depression.

This shit is ALL political, and thus the people that are really in the depression will never be heard.

Like I said earlier today I think the real un-employment right now in Bend, counting those who work under-the-table is close to 15%, thus I agree with homer, we're in a depression.

Most of this stuff is posted on homers site, because its a waste of time to get off topic on duncans site.

RDC you should get homer to do a thread on 'depression' and take it there, as you know, I'm banned on BENDBB and your a moderator.

Anonymous said...

RDC,

You mention pre 1970's, then go to post 1980 about S&L,

Remember the whole debate here is "IS Bend in a depression".

I think when a community like Bend starts seeing 10, 20, 30% un-employment that is a depression.

Yes, they'll move on, but first they have to have money, and most are already broke. People have been already holding on to broken promised, and awaiting the come-back for two years now.

The jobs are going fast, and money, 401k, Heloc, has been wiped out,

You seem to think they'll all leave, but with what?? It takes money to leave.

My guess is the un-employment insurance will sky-rocket, cuz they'll try to get free money and stay here where its cheap to rent.

RDC said...

That's because I was referring to two different events. Both of which have similarities to the current situation.