Sunday, January 20, 2008

My sister, Betsy, is visiting from Seattle, and she mentioned that she almost worries about 'getting lost' here. "The population was only 13,500 when I left here, you know."

To which I answered. "I just follow the old roads around, 3rd St., Wall, Franklin, Bond, Greenwood, etc. Everything else is just extra overlay."

I wonder sometimes if the newcomers really understand how much Bend has increased in size. I get the comment, like with my sister and Seattle, that towns are growing 'everywhere.' People just don't see the degree of difference.

Bend had a population of MAYBE 15,000 not so long ago, including 'metro area.' (By which I mean, there was NO metro area, really.) Now we have a population approaching 150,000 including a metro area. The town has grown by 10 times, which is not a normal growth rate, to say the least. That's Deadwood boomtown rate. And we know what happened to all those old mining towns when the goldrush was over.

And yet, old Bend is still here. The routes I normally travel are the same routes, downtown still is downtown, and so on. All the rest is froth, to me.

Once of the reasons I'm not so worried about a downturn is that my business was geared for a much, much smaller population. Less than 20,000 people. My square footage is the same, my overhead, while higher, isn't out of bounds of increases in costs of product, and my margins are probably better, and my inventory has grown also, so that is probably a wash. It's a shame that downtown landlords didn't make more of an effort to retain some of the older businesses, because they were the type of businesses most likely to gain from the population increase. Like a household sticking to their old budget despite a salary increase. If they get replaced by businesses that are geared to the higher population in costs and effort, then it's like starting all over, again and again.

Not to be insulting, but so many of my customers might as well be tourists for all they are aware of Bend, it's history and customs. The number of people who have lived here for five years and don't know we exist, for instance. If they buy something from me, they could just as easily have come for L.A. They are resident tourists, if you will.

I like that term. Resident tourists.

If they become a regular, they're extra.
One customer at at time.

It's sometime hard to explain to newcomers the dynamic of what's going on here. I've come up with a new saying: The people in the houses of the neighborhood you just moved into, have been here about 5 minutes longer than you have. The 'established' business you just visited downtown is still wet behind the ears. When everyone is new, no one really has perspective.

I can totally ignored those swathes of subdivisions; they need not impact much on my life, except I suppose when the roads narrow in the old part of town and they tail-gate me.

10 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

The problem of people not knowing Pegasus is here or what we sell is aggravating. Normally, 28 years in the same spot would be enough to get word out.

But it speaks to a larger cultural problem of functional illiteracy. Ironically, among readers.

That is, if you can't use the frakken yellow pages, or alternatively, google for what you want, you're hopeless.

Had a woman come in the other day to buy a board game. "How did you find us?" I ask.

"Oh, we just started calling every business we could think of...."

Now I'm happy I got her business, but this kind of response always flabbergasts me.

We are in the yellow pages, under "GAMES." Easy.

But this seems to be how people operate now: if they don't stumble across it by accident, it doesn't exist. And since their neighbors have been here 5 minutes longer than they have, they're no help.

Bender said...

Kinda makes you think if people are lazy and/or if the yellow pages are a dead advertising medium. You rank pretty good on a google search of "game store bend oregon"

BTW -- Love your blog and insight but can't stand "BilboBend said..." does he use any other word the the F word? I'm a bit tired of it and for that reason rarely read the comments section of your blog.

Duncan McGeary said...

If my costs are geared toward a 20k population, I must be raking in the dough, right?

Well, no. The number of commercial outfits that has opened in Bend, in my opinion, has been way more than even the ten times population, as difficult as that may be to believe.

And, unfortunately, the product I sell has it's ups and downs that have nothing to do with Bend.

Duncan McGeary said...

IHTBYB

Has posted a kind of scary post. He quotes me as if I know what I'm doing.

But, one thing I will point out that's salient. I always take the biggest selling product profits and reinvest it in longer term projects.

And Bend didn't do that, really. They doubled down on what was working, which just made the bubble bigger. The trick is to not follow the bubble to the top, but start reinforcing the less sexy selling stuff...

Duncan McGeary said...

I need a 'buster chip.'

He may be crazy, but he has some startling insights every once in a while.

You can usually figure out its him in the first sentence. Just past by...

Duncan McGeary said...

Remember, without the fringe, there is no middle.

Buster is just establishing the fringe, making it more comfortable for Paul-doh to be merely radical, and for me to be merely cranky.

Mrs Sally Heatherton Esq said...

Even if 'bilbo' quit using the "FUCK WORD", he still wouldn't be loved.

Bilbo is an equal opportunity rock thrower.

We have seen the enemy in Bend, and he is us.

People don't like to hear that, and never have.

I too am FUCKING ANGRY about what you people have done to Bend.

Bender said...

Fringe or no fringe .. that's not the point. Equal opportunity rock thrower or not is not the point ... People (at least some) might take him more seriously without the F word ...
Now that was the point.

jacie said...

I had to laugh about your post regarding your driving route in Bend. All I can say is Ditto.
Been here 27 years & enjoy reading your blog & observations about Bend and local commerce.

Anonymous said...

People (at least some) might take him more seriously without the F word.

*

That's enough to make an old fart puke, the whole point is to have fun.

Back in the 60's Townsend who resuced Avis said "If you ain't having fun, or making a profit, what the fuck are you doing it for?"

I think it was called Townsend's question ( or test ). He advised people apply it to all human activity's. Certainly blogging on these forums isn't profitable, but it sure in the hell is fun to throw virtual rocks at the imbeciles running our city into the toilet.

Bend is a 'Fucking Mess', there is no more of an appropriate word to describe, Bend, Oregon.

Like the traffic mess, I too live in an old neighborhood, that really hasn't changed one iota in +30 years, but that's besides the point. The people running this town are fucking it up.