Finished the rewrite of Blood of the Succubus last night.
It's good, or as good as I can make it. I still have a few days to fiddle with it, but this is a version I could send off now and be proud of.
I was shooting for 90K words, and it turned out at 90,164. Weird. I'm never sure if I'm just really good at guessing the ultimate outcome, or I subconsciously tailor the outcome to meet my expectations.
I still have at least six more days planned to work on this, so I'm just going to think on it and try to figure out things that can improve it. I'll dip into it and change words here and there. I don't know, maybe I'll have a terrific idea, but basically it's ready to go.
I don't know what's going to happen to it. It's not porn, but it does have a lot of sex in it. I don't know how things like that are classified.
When I find no words to change, then I know it's done.
I don't really want to mess with the plot. I think it's done.
Lara is doing an editing job at the same time, so as soon as that gets book, I'll integrate the two versions. (I also have some writer's group suggestions to incorporate.)
The research was interesting, and I did do a few things with it, but mostly I had already gotten most of that right.
Slept on it.
I have six days to burnish this book under my original schedule. So I'm going to think about ways to make it better.
Funny thing is -- it is when book is fully finished that I'm most willing to make changes, because there it is, all done, and I can see it clearly and sometimes only then can I see what will improve it. Before that, everything is messy and in flux and it's a bit harder to see.
I've already decided on two changes at the end that I think will improve the book. Hopefully every day will give me some ideas, and meanwhile I'll dip into the book at random and work on the words.
It's finished, and now all I'm doing is polishing it.
23 hours ago