Sunday, April 29, 2012

That pretty much confirms it.

Linda and I went for a drive yesterday afternoon, and ended up in Prineville. We always check out the bookstore there.

They'd done some rearranging, bringing most of the product, including toys and games into one side of the store, and having an open floorplan with tables and with the coffee bar in back of the other half. It looked nice.

They were increasing their used books, but were planning to continue to carry new books.

Anyway, they had some of the 'Melissa and Doug' brand cribbage boards and chess sets, and I've been thinking about carrying those for several years. I hesitate because I once carried five or six versions of those games and must have had 50 people turn their nose up at them. See here's the problem -- if I then have 200 people over the next three or four years ask for them, I can't help but remembering those first 50 people.

Generally, things like that don't change, sadly. It's a case of people being too picky for their own good.

Anyway, the guy in Prineville informed me that 'Melissa and Doug' company was discontinuing cribbage and chess and backgammon and go and all those games.

Which pretty much confirms that they are a hard sell.

1 comment:

H. Bruce Miller said...

Americans have never been big on chess. Requires too long an attention span.