Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Last chapter.

Read the final chapter last night at writer's group.

That's the second book I've read from beginning to end at the group over the last 30 years.

In effect, they thought the previous chapter should be the conclusion, and this one ought to go into another book.

They had quite a bit of criticism.

"So let me get this straight," I said. "You just want me to be deeper, more consistent, with a stronger plot and deeper characterization. Is that all?"

Somehow, my ego isn't affected by this. I'm not sure why. There are all kinds of confidence, and I seem to have the confidence that I can somehow, someway fix it all. My feeling is -- "Oh, you just wait, I'll make this a good book despite all ya." Which is unfair, since they've taken the time and effort to try to help.

In other words, I think I can accept the criticism and act on it. And have faith in the end goal.

But all thoughts of me being finished any time soon are gone. I figure I've got a lot of work to do.

2 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

Let me ask some questions that may help put this into perspective: Who are these people? What special qualifications do they have as critics or writing coaches? Why is their opinion of your work more valuable or valid than your own?

In other words, are these people who are telling you how to write eminent writers, or are they just aspiring writers like you? Hell, you've had several books published -- I have a hunch that puts you one up on most of 'em.

Duncan McGeary said...

I think I'm able to put all that in perspective. Most of the criticism I've seen is more or less valid. I won't always do it.

I've belonged the versions of the writer's group where I thought half the people were off their rocker and totally wrong.

But this particular configuration is pretty constructive.

As I say, I have this strange arrogance that I'll know what to do when I do it and it will all be good and none of these people will probably ever know it.