Sunday, September 4, 2011

August results.

I think maybe summer business is over.

You never can tell. Some years, summer "thinking" extends into September. Some years, it ends mid-August. Has to do with the smell in the air, the feel of the wind, I don't know.

Anyway, the last two weeks really slowed down. I still beat August of last year, by 8%, which is cool. So that's two months in a row, with a good chance that September will come through as well, if the DC #1 perform at all.

Then again, though I didn't know it at the time, I think last summer MAY have been the bottom for us (knock wood, knock wood.) I mean, comparing it to everything else, it pretty much sucked.

So this year was probably a bit of a dead cat bounce. Plus the total increase was less than the increase in magic. Books and games were up, everything else was down.

Normally, three months in a row I consider a trend, but I think I'll reserve judgment. A bunch of this is just bouncing off previous bottoms.

Though I normally wouldn't point to the stock market as an indicator of anything, I think the drop in mid-August in the market was so severe, that it probably actually did have a dampening effect on spending.

For me, a recovery would be a feeling that the bottom won't drop out again. Holding to previous lows wouldn't surprise me, in fact, I'm kind of expecting that to happen.

Not because I have any knowledge of the future, but just because that is how every bust I've experienced in the past has happened. Just when you think it's over, down it goes. Then, just as you expect it to be over, down it goes, and then...well, you pretty much give up looking for it.

And then, sometime in the future, you realize it isn't dropping anymore. It happened when you weren't looking.






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well this week DICK cheney announced that clitorisH ( HRC ) would have made a better prez than the OREO.

The OREO is now condemned by all, other than the P's in Bend.

Anonymous said...

Another nice confirm in wikileaks release this week is that USA did shoot infants in the head in Afghanistan and Iraq. As well as shooting 74 year old grandmothers, and tying the hands of 5 year old children and shooting them in the head. All this in the cables. How do you spell "MAI-LAI KILLINGS". Denial prior but now cables assert what US government denied all along that we are shooting newborns infants in the head pointblank.

Anonymous said...

Yep August looks good, GOLD up today in Asia to a SOLID 1900 with no drop. August was the tipping point, me thinks September should be the free-fall.

FOX 24/7 over here in ASIA drum beating for the bombing of IRAN. Remember DEBKA.COM ( MOSSAD ) predicted months ago OREO would bomb IRAN in September. Libya is now a fucking mess. Everyone had free healthcare, and education, et-al for life, before the CIA engineered the 'spring'. WIKILEAKS points out this week that most of the 'extrodinary rendition' torture was contracted through GADAFFI by the CIA post 2004. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Predominate FOX news cycle is that the HATE of ISRAEL is the reason for loss of jobs in the USA.

Andy Z said...

Dunc, did you happen to read this? http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.dharbin.com/blog/fifteen-thoughts-on-digital-comics/ What do you think? Would a Netflix-like service for digital comics be cool?

Also, consider blocking anonymous comments on your blog. They add very little and shield asshats from standing behind what they say.

Duncan McGeary said...

Funnily enough, I actually wrote a blog in response to his ideas -- at least, as I heard them though another blog --

I'll go ahead and post that now.

I obviously disagree with him.

Duncan McGeary said...

To completely confuse you, the blog I just posted: "Ignore the digital" was written on the 20th of August in response to something he apparently said in google+

So, now I need to read this post and respond to it.

(This just goes to show, that if I have an entry, I should just post it instead of saving it...)

Andy Z said...

A consequence of on-demand publishing. If you had to wait for your letter to the editor to go to the press this conversation would take ages.