Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Where did all the crazies go....?

Where did all the crazies go? You know, besides me? The bubble-blogger, end-is-nigh guys?

Talking to a friend who said, "I think the economic crisis is outlasting the people who warned of the crisis." I know that 'Tim' was in the other day saying that he was splitting town -- that he got a job offer in Eugene that was just too good to pass up.

I think resources are dwindling; and the bad thing about a storm is it falls on the just and the unjust alike.

**********

I haven't even gone to visit the Twitter site in about 2 weeks. I gave it a full year of checking every day and ultimately, I've just not found it useful or interesting. I'm still drawn to Craig's List rants and raves occasionally, though it always makes me unsettled. The real crazies.....

**********

It's been almost exactly six months since Linda and my economic situation changed.

I read it takes about that long to come to resolutions, and it seems to be true -- at a minimum.

Ultimately, not as much has changed as I would've thought. We were able to clear away some overhanging debt; to fix the house up a little (lawn, roof, leaky bathroom); and to establish a retirement fund that looks realistic.

It also means that if the stores have a bad six months or so, we won't be out on the street.

It's one of those situations where you realize that the pressure was good in the way it makes you disciplined -- but you'd be crazy not to take the pressure off.

So I keep trying to remind myself to take a deep breath and relax. Enjoy life. Spend a little money, take a little time off. But don't go crazy. To be thankful but not take it for granted.

**********

Falling even further behind on my "Book a Week" goal. I decided I was really hankering for a good old fashioned space opera; so I picked up an author I haven't read before, (Kevin J. Anderson) who has a seven books series, (Saga of the Seven Suns), and slogged my way through the first 600 page tome.

I enjoyed it enough to finish it, at a very slow pace, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to read six more books....

Started reading a quick Aaron Elkins mystery, Little Tiny Teeth, which I should polish off in a few days.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and the schools or libraries would have contests to see how many books you could read over the summer so you read all these short little books a year or two below your reading level to stack up the numbers....

I don't want to do that.

I just want to pick up the pace a bit. I read more or less a page a minute, so a six hundred page book should take me about 10 hours and if I spend at least an hour every night, 10 days, and....

Do I really want to think of it in those terms?

No. If I decide to pick up a non-fiction 800 page tome, then that's what I should do. Point is, to keep reading because me life feels fuller, somehow, when I'm actively reading....and, as you may have noticed, when I'm actively writing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Where did all the crazies go?"

Thanks for the update on "Tim." I'd be curious to know what happened to the rest. At least HBM is alive and kicking.

Quimby said...

Quimby is still here...just busy.

Bend Economy Man said...

I don't know if I'm considered a crazy, but here's an update on my mental state: what inspired me to start my blog in November 2005 was that I felt like I was the last sane man on earth (which is the same feeling as being crazy) because everyone was in a real estate frenzy.

But now everything seems just about right. No complaints.

LavaBear said...

I'm still here and still crazy.