Sunday, June 21, 2009

We want 100% turnout.

Interesting article about the Traditions Golf Tournament in Sunriver.

Let's see. They get 30,000 people to show up, but they're desperate for more spectators.

Hey, guys. That a full 15% of the entire population of Central Oregon! What were you expecting? What was the percentage of the population of Portland that showed up when they had the tournament? Let's see, at least a million folk within half an hour of them, would be 150,000 visitors. 2 million, within an hour of them, if you really want to get down to it, so 300,000 visitors.

Actually 15% seems really good to me, since you'd have to kill me, drag my rotting corpse to the side of the golf course, turn my dulled eyes toward the action, and shoot electric bolts into my head, to get me to watch golf.

So, another example of someone just not doing the math. Someone wanting Bend to be something it isn't -- someplace that isn't rural.

Sponsors? Let's see, you need some mid-sized regional or statewide players, someone like Jen-Weld. Oh, wait. You got them. O.K. There's.....um, there is.....ah.....oh, yeah, Les Schwab. No -- they have their own boondoggle they're having trouble filling, the Amphitheater. They're busy turning into the Walmart of tires, getting all their supplies from China.

Who else?

Oh....that's right.

There aren't any.

Those are the kinds of businesses that Bend wants to attract. Despite a sub-par airport, no interstate, a four year college that is a two year college with two years added on, and....

Well, ....you know, job producing type businesses. First we have to have them, then they can sponsor a national golf tournament. But as usual, we have the national golf tournament because we want to attract those type of businesses?

I think I'll open a branch of my store in Brothers.....then Tumalo....tomorrow the world!

7 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

I admit, I'm not a visionary when it comes to growth. I may think small, pay as you go.

I have no problems with big dreams, as long as you don't hand me the bill.

Does anyone else suspect that the canceled events at the Schwab, (3 concerts and the beer fest), have more to do with their own viability than with the Oregon Liquor guys?

(As out of line as they appear to be.)

Something that the general public doesn't see is that almost every business failure is blamed on something else, and the public always accepts that.

Comes down the money, folks.

Duncan McGeary said...

Come down TO money....

Duncan McGeary said...

Comment from Paul-doh over on BB2.

Very funny.

"Actually 15% seems really good to me, since you'd have to kill me, drag my rotting corpse to the side of the golf course, turn my dulled eyes toward the action, and shoot electric bolts into my head, to get me to watch golf."


Geez Dunc... you're going soft. You're practically BEGGING to be invited.

For me, you'd have to hot-rivet both sides of my fucking nutbag to 2 trains traveling in opposite directions, reach up my torn-apart asshole, pull out my skinless corpse, cram it in a cannon, aim for Sunriver, and blow me onto the course, eyes opened with toothpicks, ala Clockwork Orange for ME to watch golf.

Duncan McGeary said...

Come(s)down to money.....

I used to be able to write.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Does anyone else suspect that the canceled events at the Schwab, (3 concerts and the beer fest), have more to do with their own viability than with the Oregon Liquor guys?"

Probably has more to do with the recession than either of those factors. The Schwab was doing very well in its first few years but people are not as willing to lay out 30 or 40 bucks to see a concert as they used to be.

Duncan McGeary said...

"Geez Dunc... you're going soft. You're practically BEGGING to be invited."

Did I mention that's only if Tiger Woods is playing?

Quimby said...

The Schwab was doing very well in its first few years but people are not as willing to lay out 30 or 40 bucks to see a concert as they used to be.

Not to mention the fact that they were being subsidized by all the home builing/RE types to create an atmosphere to attract new blood.