Thursday, June 11, 2009

Deja Vu headlines.

From KTVZ.com: "Bend Outlines Plans to Fix Flooding Underpasses."

I first saw this headline, not 10 years ago, not 20 years ago, not 30 years ago, but I swear I saw it 40 years ago, and if I'd been reading the newspaper any earlier, I probably would've seen it then.

**********

"Cash for Clunkers.": What's to keep me from buying a hundred dollar clunker and turning it in for a 4500.00 credit? I mean, if I was in the market for a new car?
Just wondering.

**********

"Treasury Targets Executive Pay." This, just a couple of days after they let about 10 of the banks pay back the Tarp funds. Because those banks didn't want to be limited in executive pay. And no one sees the irony.

**********

"Personal Shopper." ??? This kind of headline I would've expected 3 or 4 years ago. A little surprising to see it now.

**********

"Bend Sees Rise in Median Home Prices." BUT............."down nearly 29 percent from May, 2008."

**********

"Forced Entrepreneurs." Always been here, especially in Bend. If you wanted a decent job around here, you had to create one.

*********

Another new business downtown. Altera Real Estate. Interesting that salons and real estate offices are opening; they would've been the last kind I would've expected.

**********

Very quiet on the blogosphere. Haven't heard from H.Bruce Miller in the Source in 11 days now. The Bend Economy Bulletin Board can go a whole day or two without a comment. And BB2 is subsisting on comments about studs and the weather and Thailand recreation.

Should I be wishing for an outrage?

**********

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"What's to keep me from buying a hundred dollar clunker and turning it in for a 4500.00 credit?"

In the current bill:
the car has to have been insured for at least 1 year. This probably eliminates your $100 clunker. But otherwise there is nothing illegal about buying someone else's clunker for your trade in. It will probably boost the prices of cheap older cars a bit.

Assuming that it passes the Senate in a similar form.

There's probably really only a small percentage of people who can really make use of this bill.

RDC said...

I suspect that it will have to insured in the name of the person who is claiming the credit for atleast one year, not just insured by someone for that time

Owen said...

Funny, they were talking about fixing the underpasses in the paper in 1994 when I moved here. I saw that same story you mention on Z21 and said something to my wife about how they convincingly made it sound like it was a new problem. Sad to hear that it's been going on for at least 25 years before I arrived.