Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Comings and Goings update.

Haven't done an update in nearly a month, because nothing much has changed. I heard the St. Clair coffee stand closed, that's it.

But I wanted to comment on downtown doings.

As you know, I've been skeptical of the usefulness of downtown street closures for some time. I don't feel they were particularly useful during the boom years of 2004 to 2008 or so, because they took up peak weekends that would've been very busy -- with actual customers -- anyway.

But in talking to another downtown merchant, and looking at my own sales, I'm willing to admit I might have been wrong. With the business climate being what it is, such festivals are mostly a plus, right now. And I suppose I can't have the festivals 'only' on the bad years.

It's a plus not so much for me, but I think some of the other businesses. Anyway, much as they are a hassle, and though I may still mutter and grumble about them, I'm not going to advocate against them.

I think it's also important that I've 'mainstreamed' my store, especially with books, so that I now pick up a little business from these things.

This isn't a green light to add a bunch more events, however!

Secondly, I'm started to see now, by talking to some other merchants, how some businesses are surviving. Lower rents. I think rents have been lowered significantly in some places.

I'm not in a position to ask for further rent decrease, because I'm earning a profit, but if that wasn't happening I'd probably be trying to talk my landlord into breaks, and I think that's what's been happening.

And finally, I've always advocated really cheap parking rates for downtown employees. But that will only work if the penalties for not parking in the garage were draconian. I think both the carrot and the stick are necessary.

Really, two hours is sufficient in my opinion for most purposes. Remember that they stop giving tickets after 4:00 or 5:00 so it really doesn't impact on restaurants for evening meals. I kind of agree with the parking guys that three hours would just encourage abuse.

I want you to know, that I buy a parking tag for the garage every 3 months, I consider it part of the price of business downtown, and I park faithfully in the garage every day.

It ain't that hard.

And finally, I kept wanting to mention the Benjamin's Furniture closure, because it seemed significant.

About a year and a half ago, I wrote a blog about how there were were something like 40 furniture stores listed in the Yellow Pages and less than 10 new homes being built. That didn't compute.

Forget what you hear or read. Do the math. Compare new homes to how many businesses we have which are dependent on new homes. If it doesn't make sense, there's something wrong.

NEW BUSINESS'S DOWNTOWN

Bend Home Hardware (Homestyle Hardware?) 7/1/09
Altera Real Estate 6/9/09
Honey 6/7/09
Azura Studio 6/7/09
Mary Jane's 6/1/09
c.c.McKenzie 6/1/09
Velvet 5/28/09
Recession Pies 4/11/09
Bella Moda 3/25/09
High Desert Gallery (Bend) 3/25/09
Joolz
Zydeco
900 Wall
Great Outdoor Store
Luxe Home Interiors
Powell's Candy
Dudley's Used Books and Coffee
Goldsmith
Game Domain
Subway Sandwiches
Bend Burger Company
Showcase Hats
Pita Pit
Happy Nails



BUSINESS'S LEAVING

Micheal Cassidy Gallery 6/15/09
St. Claire Coffee 6/15/09
Luxe Home Interiors 6/4/09
Treefort 5/8/09
Blue 5/2/09
Volcano Tasting Room 4/28/09
Habit 4/16/09
Mountain Comfort 4/14/09
Tetherow Property 4/11/09
Blue Moon Marketplace 3/25/09
Plenty 3/25/09
Downtown Doggie 3/25/09
Ling of Sole (became Mary Janes)Santee Alley
Bistro Corlise
Made in Hawaii
EnVogue
Stewart Weinmann (leather)
Kebanu Gallery
Pella Doors and Windows
Olive company
Pink Frog
Little Italy
Deep
Merenda's
Volo
Pomegranate (downtown branch)
Norwalk
Pronghorn Real Estate office.
Speedshop Deli
Paper Place
Bluefish Bistro

1 comment:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Really, two hours is sufficient in my opinion for most purposes."

Obviously you have never been along with my wife when she's shopping, especially for shoes. She can take two DAYS to pick out a new pair.

But seriously: If you want to have a nice leisurely lunch and do some browsing, two hours is not NEARLY enough. Three hours is barely enough.

The whole aim in a retail environment like downtown or the OMD is to get people to spend time, walk around, look into a lot of stores, and hopefully buy things in some of them. If people want to just park right in front of the store, dash in, buy something and dash away they can do that at a strip mall.

Sort of apropos of that, would you mind if I offered a suggestion? Your shop needs more "curb appeal." When I look at the storefront, signage and window display there's nothing that pulls me inside. I'm not a retail expert, of course; that's just my observation as a "man in the street." Take it for what it's worth.