Monday, June 15, 2009

Oh, SURE it's a deal.....

I've never been a great believer in storewide "SALES!" I don't seem to have the knack. Just like I'm not very good with auctions or conventions or signings or any other form of special event selling.

I lay out the best selection of merchandise I can afford in as attractive and accessible a way as I can manage in a small space and learn what I can learn about each product and hope for the best.

What I do do, (Do Do?), is offer individual discounts for individual product to individual individuals (individual individuals?).

Sometimes I get an item for a really good price, and I'll order extras. Sometimes a customer expresses interest in an item I've had in the store for way too long. So I immediately offer a 'deal.'

Thing is, it's a real deal, not a phony deal. I'm really giving them a good price on something they seem interested in.

Lately, that just hasn't been working. Someone seems really interested in something, I offer a hefty discount -- and they put it back!! ??

I've also noticed that people are marching in off the street with the 1.00 and .50 books, and almost flinch when I start to tell them about my regular used books. Hey, the reason I'm selling these books so cheap is to get you in the door and show you what I have......

Can't they listen to a 30 second spiel (?) that consists of: "Just to let you know. We carry regular used books over in the front of the store on the other side, which we sell for half-cover price on paperbacks and one-third cover price on hardcovers...."

"What! This isn't .50!! ??"

After I reassure them, they pay and immediately leave, hunched over, looking neither right or left.

Much good it does me.

Anyway, I've decided that people are just suspicious and resistant to "SALES!" because they are being besieged by them, even more than usual.

Ironically, it just means I'll not be making the offers, because they seem counter-productive. Not offering a deal works better than offering a deal. It's just human nature -- if I'm offering a deal, there must be something wrong with it.

Which is weird, because the real question should be, is the customer interested? And if he is, then a lower price would seem better than a higher price, what?

No comments: