Thursday, January 31, 2008

Damn it, I did it again. Started a post yesterday, pushed the button today, but showed up on yesterday's date. Go there....

But just because I haven't missed a day yet, I'm posting one of the entries I've made but haven't posted before.


Before anyone takes umbrage at my characterizing service businesses as parasitic, remember that the stuff Pegasus sells isn't exactly necessary to the continued Existence of Mankind. (Maybe necessary to the continued creative Existence of Mankind, however....)

Bend being Bend, I've always figured about 90% of my comic customers are created elsewhere. They're incubated in bigger towns, and when they come to Bend, I snag them.

So for the next couple of years, if I can replace each lost customer with a new one, I'll feel very fortunate.

My break-even point at the store, currently, is nearly half of what I'm actually earning. Reading that makes my slap my head and ask, "Why aren't you earning a huge profit, dummy!" The reason is that I've have pursued all these newcomers, and all the sidewalk traffic I'm suddenly getting, by expanding my inventory.

So if the flow of newcomers slows, I'll feel it, both in my regular customer base and in my sidewalk traffic. Hopefully, since I've been through much worse, I can adjust my spending not to go into the red.

2 comments:

dkgoodman said...

You can change the date and time of a post, either before you publish, or even after you've published, by choosing the Post Options in the post editor.

Duncan McGeary said...

Oh, I didn't know you could do it after. Thanks.