Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Went on a book scout expedition to Albany and on to Newport the last three days. I've decided that since this isn't an anonymous blog, that maybe I shouldn't telegraph when I'm not home. Learned all kinds of interesting things: my best friend from high school is the city manager of Albany, and I also talked to the head of the Albany's Downtowners.

One thing I'll say right now, though. I think our bookstore is nicer than any other bookstore I've seen out there, so far. Just in looks and feel. Inventory could be argued, but our bookstore just looks so much cleaner and organized, for some reason, and the books look newer.

Another thing, much as it may seem like I bitch about downtown Bend, I can tell you that Lebanon, Sweet Home, Albany, Newport and even Corvallis would KILL to have the same thing.

Full report tomorrow. (I haven't even read most of Sunday's paper, much less the Monday or Tuesday, though the BAT situation looks worse than ever....)

2 comments:

dkgoodman said...

You have a great bookstore for its size. You don't feel like you're squeezing between musty towers about to fall upon you.

Good idea about not announcing your upcoming absence. I never do that either. I just come back and say, "So this is what happened the past few days."

I was watching the Masters of Science Fiction show the other night, and a character proclaimed, "Well, I'll be super-amalgamated!" If that doesn't ring a bell with you, ask your once and future manager who reads Doc Savage about it. :)

Duncan McGeary said...

Thanks for saying that about Pegasus, Dk, but even I think the store is a little overstuffed, which is one of the reasons that I wanted to try a second store.

I was more referring to my wife's store. It has a consistent design, with white melamine all the way around, slatwalls, bookshelves, tables, register stands and fixtures. The high walls, and clean lines, and the actual cleanliness of the books and the way we put the nicer fiction together, etc., just gives off a clean and ordered look.

Every used bookstore we went in to, even the better ones, were cluttered and messy and consisted of a hodgepodge of shelves and displays, different colors of wood, etc.