Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I went home disappointed in the first two days of sales, this week. But sleeping on it, I realized that almost all my sales yesterday were to people I wouldn't ordinarily assume to be customers. In fact, I could remember only 2 regulars coming in all day. A few years ago, many of these buyers wouldn't have come in at all, or if they had, stayed for long, or if they had stayed, bought anything.

Oh, Bulletin. You are chock-a-block with ironic goodness.

Taxpayers would be willing to support BAT? So much for it being self-paying.
(Ditto the Tower Theater article a couple of days ago.)

Builder says, it's cheaper to make homes with a few variations. Hey! Why not make every house the same? That would make it even cheaper! You can always plant a few flowers and use a different paint color later!

The bid to buy Broken Top? Have no idea what's going on there. No comment. Just, there's something weird going on.

The 'affordable' housing units downtown will need to be sold for much higher?
What a surprise. Let's see, build in the most expensive commercial area and find out it costs alot.

Builder skips the inspection process by forgery. Gosh, I'm sure that in the rush to build all these new houses, rain, snow, or shine, no other builder has cut corners....

Bulletin being against union labor for public works. What a surprise. Can't hire any illegal immigrants to build our schools? Whats the world coming to. (Only a coincidence that George Will has a column on union busting today....)

The city council is too busy to pay attention to these things. They're wrestling with Juniper Ridge, which should take shape in....oh, I don't know....ten or twenty years?

No more timber payments? We all hate waste and pork, except when it comes to our timber payments! We need representative with more clout! Like the states with ethanol!

I think I'm ready to quit reading the news for awhile. It's just too dispiriting.

3 comments:

MissTrade said...

There are going to be so many stories of despair coming in this town over the next 2-3 years. Its only just begun.

Duncan McGeary said...

I'm still getting almost everyone in the store disagreeing with me on this. Not only disagreeing, but looking at me strange. There really seems little awareness on the part of the public.

Jason said...

Speaking only for myself, of course, I would have to agree. So many of the things you bring up here are things that I never seem to hear about otherwise. It's my own fault, really. I need to read the local paper more often, even if it is a bit depressing.