Friday, June 4, 2021

The Downtowners are killing me.

NOTE: I'm leaving this up, but the be fair, I need to make a correction. I should have read the details. Apparently, out of the seven days of October Fest, they are only closing my street for one day. So that IS an improvement. 
 
So the Downtowners have learned--apparently to their surprise! (I'm shocked...I'm shocked, I tell you!) that:
 
"...we've learned that the majority of businesses see a decrease in sales during Summerfest, Fallfest, Bite of Bend..."
 
Which I have only been pointing out for twenty years...
 
So their answer is...get this... to make October Fest a WEEK long!
 
Brilliant solution! Take an event that causes an acknowledged "decrease in sales" for two days and extend it to seven days!
 
Jesus wept.
 
They've analyzed the elements to successful downtown events and decided to incorporate them by having a bevy of new happenings!
 
But here's what pops out at me. The "Successful Events" they talk about, First Friday, Ladies Night, and parades all have one simple thing in common.
 
Either there are NO street closures, or in the case of parades, limited to a few hours street closures. 
 
It really is a simple as that. 
 
Don't...close...the...damn...streets. 
 
I give up.

 

No comments: