Thursday, June 17, 2021

City knows best...

"Good morning, sir, we've come to tear up your sidewalk."
"But why?"
"Because we have in mind a much better sidewalk. Much nicer."
"But it's a perfectly serviceable sidewalk!"
"Yes, but other towns have much better sidewalks. Don't be negative, sir. Maybe you'll love it."
"I guess I can give it a walk."
"Oh, no. It's much too nice to be walked on. We plan on having booths and such, things people like."
"But how will I get into my house?"
"Come now, sir. Isn't the public so much more important? We'll have parties every weekend. You can join if you want."
"But I want peace and quiet on my weekends. People come to my house with work all week."
"Oh, we can't have that, sir. Sidewalks are meant to be enjoyed. Having people come and go would just be a hindrance."
"But it's how I make my living!"
"Can't be helped, sir. Now if you'll just use the back alley from now on and stay out of the way, we'll improve your life so much!"
"But my house!"
"Don't be selfish, sir. Besides, we'll probably want to demolish it. We're thinking of a much nicer house--one without any people in it."
"I...."
"That's it, sir. So glad that you agree with us. Now, you'll have to do without a sidewalk for awhile while we build a new one. But once it's done, it will be beautiful. I'm sure you'll have many visitors lounging in our beautiful tables and chairs. So if you'll keep down the noise, we'd appreciate it. Goodbye now! We're so glad you agree with us!"

 

No comments: