Tuesday, June 8, 2021

2nd short story accepted.

Maybe I've been in the wrong game all this time. My first two short stories have been accepted. I'm not actually surprised. The story I wrote for SNAFU is a corker, if I do say so myself. They're going to put me through a rewriting process, but I can do that. 

My story for the werewolf anthology was an original idea, and after the rewrites, I think it's a corker too. 

What I haven't decided is whether I want to dive into this market. These two opportunities presented themselves through my normal Facebook browsing. Also, I think the stories were effective because they were written specifically for those markets.

Sending off short stories on spec is a different game. I think the reason to do it is to get your name known and associated with other, perhaps better known, writers. A career builder, if you will. I'm not sure I have time left to build a "career." 

I do enjoy the one and done nature of short-stories. Even the rewriting is a more concise process. But I'm really not into the submit and be rejected and try somewhere else game. I'm so spoiled. I always hit immediate (beginner's luck?) success, and then confronted by the true nature of the business--which is work, work, work.

Let's see where these two lead. With any luck, someone will ask me to write for an anthology.

No comments: