Monday, December 9, 2013

You don't know what you aren't seeing.

I'm still surprised that people don't know what Cthuhlu is.  I would have thought the Baader-Meinhoff phenomenon would have been triggered for most people by now.  I know that I see references to H.P. Lovecraft and his inventions absolutely everywhere.

I guess you don't know what you aren't seeing when you aren't seeing it.

Other examples in my life of Baader-Meinhoff.

***Bettie Page.  Loved Bettie as a character in a comic.  Didn't know she existed.  Found out she existed, and then she was everywhere.

***Settlers of Catan.  Once you're aware of the Euro board gaming trend, you see references to it everywhere.

***"Talking Points."  I spent the whole last election arguing politics with people and being accused of using liberal talking points.  But since I didn't go to any liberal websites and or TV shows or anything else, they actually were my own thoughts. Yes, my very own thoughts.  So I didn't know what the fuck they were talking about.

Then I started seeing those websites and TV shows and went ...."OOOhhhhh!"   Basically, they were accusing me of doing what in fact they were doing....

***And finally, Baader Meinhoff, itself.   Heh.  Now it seems to apply to everything.

***A thousand other examples, I just can't think of them right now.


No comments: