Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Writing another book, I don't know why.

By the end of this week, I'll be 2/3rds of the way through another book.  This one is a sequel to a book I wrote 30 years ago, Deviltree.  It's called, Deeptower. 

I've enjoyed doing it.  It seemed like a natural thing to do.  I'm getting more and more used to writing books in a series.  There are some big advantages to doing that.  The World-Building is already partly done, which is a pretty big deal.

On the other hand, writing sequels to books that haven't sold in the first place is sort of trying to hitch a ride to a dead horse.

It seems pretty clear to me by now that my books aren't going to be found by accident online.  I've found almost no readers that way.  The books I've sold are because I've out and out asked people to buy them, and I don't much feel like doing that.

So I'm being an artist for art sakes, it looks like.

I'm creating this mass of raw material, and occasionally going back and working on them, then moving on to the next new thing.

I have a weird faith that good things will happen, if I do the work.


No comments: