Sunday, December 15, 2013

A "serious" book.

Started writing a "serious" book yesterday:  Here and Gone.

I'm not sure what it will lead to.  I suspect if I continue it will look and sound quite different than what the first draft is coming out as.  Wrote about 1000 words.

It almost immediately turned into an almost genre mystery, which was not my intent.

Strangely, my writing seems almost too florid for serious writing.  And at the same time, not florid enough.  I'm thinking I'll need a style that works.

But first, honest emotion.  That's what I'm striving for.  Authenticity.

I'm placing no burdens on myself to keep writing this.  I still enjoy the storytelling of genre fiction, and also think that having a "serious" novel published is even more impossible than a genre novel.

My intention is to turn to it every once in a while and see if anything can be done with it.  For my own edification.  Practice.

No comments: