Sunday, December 8, 2013

I don't think this is the way it's done.

I spent most of the day within 10 feet of my laptop.

Waiting to write.

Twice in that time, I got busy for a short flurry.   I wrote my quota of words.

I also ruminated on what was planning to do, and came up with some ideas --which is almost as valuable as the actual writing.

So, more or less 14 hours near the computer, of which only a couple of hours were actually occupied by writing.

I don't think this is the way it's done by most writers.

I've gotten very much into a mode of saying to myself -- I have all day.  Don't rush it.  Let it come.

So I spend all day waiting, and really not getting anywhere.  I browse the internet.  I play a lot of solitaire.  I hit 1905 on my cumulative score, which if it isn't a record, is pretty close.

Thing is, I got pretty spoiled there for about a year, I was writing so much, it amazed even me.  Now the old procrastination habits are creeping back.

But...spending 14 hours near the computer with the intention of writing -- that's got to mean something, right?  I feel like I'm close to being good, but I need to put more thought and work into it.

But I bet this isn't the way most people do it...
 


No comments: