Thursday, December 5, 2013

Write first, think about it second.

I had no intention of writing a sequel to Deviltree, yet here I am.   Thing is, the premise of the Deeptowers absolutely lent itself to a series, and I've now set up a series of villain, like E.E. Doc Smith's Lensmen, where the Big Bad is revealed to be the flunky of an even Bigger Bad, and so on.

I'm about a third of the way through Deeptowers, already.  What's interesting to me is that the plot points are coming along just about where I'd want them, and the characters are popping up just about where I'd want them, and the explanations are happening just about where I'd want them.

This is what I mean by being proficient.  I'm not second guessing when something happen, or how it happens.

It is coming naturally.

The writing is more or less proficient too, but I'm aware that it needs some work and some fleshing out.  The great thing about that is that I finally got over my fear of rewriting, and actually kind of like the process.  I've learned a few tricks, but the main thing is that I'm letting myself go back as I write and do changes, because I now trust myself not to make such big changes that I lose my way.

I'm continuing on with the philosophy that I write so fast, and the stories just keep coming so fast, that I should just write them and worry about them latter.

Write first, think second.

Every book I write, I seem to learn a little more. 

At first, I was probably using 90% of time and effort just trying to get proficient -- readable.
Now I think I start off 50% proficient, and that gives me more energy and time to improve on it, try to add a little more art and depth.

Interesting to me though, is that the tone of Deeptowers is so similar to Deviltree, even though there is a 30 year gap between the two books.

I don't feel like I'm a 60 year old writer versus a 30 year old writer.  It's more like I took a couple years off, and I'm a 33 year old writer versus a 30 year old writer.  Anyway, that's the way if feels inside.

No comments: