Sunday, May 13, 2012

"Stuff" means nothing without the person.

Linda and I went to Dad's room yesterday to clear it of personal material. We're going to donate the fixtures to any thrift that wants to come and get them.

There wasn't a lot of nostalgia in the process -- most of the family stuff was taken care of years ago when we sold the family home and held an estate sale. In fact, in cleaning out Dad's room, I wonder if our family maybe should have retained a few more personal items for Dad.

But he never did much care about his surroundings. He continued to be a hoarder, but of very small things.

So there were some pictures and knickknacks and a few other personal items that we loaded up and took to our storage shed.

I went through Dad's clothes, and he had some classic Pendleton type shirts that fit me, and I took a few. It's funny, but his feet were bigger than mine, and his hands were smaller, and I don't tend to wear hats. I took a nice coat.

Really, there was very little. If I didn't know it already, this would have shown me that possessions basically mean nothing without the person there. The room was just sort of sad and forlorn.

I feel like I notice a sick smell in the rooms -- not that the place isn't kept very clean, but I think it just comes with the territory. Linda says she doesn't smell it, but not only do I smell it but it seems to linger long after I leave. I was O.K. with it when Dad was there, but the sickness smell without him there is just a sickness smell.

We all just have to go with the flow, I guess. Live with what we have and not get too acquisitive -- and above all enjoy the people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I don't tend to wear hats"

Well, at least they would keep the top of your head from being sunburned!

On weeding...
I also hate weeding this time of year, but once you do it in May, you're pretty much done for the rest of summer. The worst is over.

H. Bruce Miller said...

Hats have become an absolute necessity for me, winter or summer. And they can be fun too.